well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Lemon pickle

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lemon pickle
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
To accompany the Indian dishes I have been cooking lately, I followed a recipe by Madhur Jaffrey for lemons (quartered) pickled in salt, sugar and spices. You leave it in a jar in the sun for about three weeks. At this point it’s ready but I can’t see how you could use more than the smallest amount as a condiment. I used three lemons, which is a large amount.

We’ll see. It’s weird. You’d think it would be an incubator for bacteria.

Maybe I’ll post a pic…

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe I’ll post a pic…

Please do!

Re bacteria, is it too acidic to all them to grow?

Or, otoh, why would this be any different from other things that get pickled, or canned or jarred for that matter? I have no idea why/how those things are safe to eat, but they are.

Anyway back to your product and using the only smallest amount, is that because the taste is too strong?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Between the acid and the salt it should be well preserved.

I think it’s mostly a condiment but I have seen recipes that call for it.

Here’s an article.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Steve, for the article. It’s helpful, offering ways to actually use it. Also it refers to it as “preserved lemon,” which appears as an ingredient in other recipes.

I tend to think it would be used in small amounts just because it has such a strong flavor.

I think it’s almost a month old. Perhaps it should go into the fridge at this point. The recipe says to refrigerate when the rind is soft, but it still has some firmness. Quite a bit of “sauce” has developed at the bottom of the jar.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Pucker up!

What is next? Pickled cranberries?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I have preserved lemons before (Meyer Lemons are lovely for this) by just burying them in salt with no spices at all. I use them frequently in middle eastern dishes. Now I just buy them at the middle eastern market because they come in a huge jar and are really inexpensive.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Tried pieces of it alongside a cauliflower curry tonight. Pretty salty, but maybe I should have given it a rinse first. Interesting!