well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A brief history of the Cheez-It

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A brief history of the Cheez-It
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
In the early 20th century, inside a foregone factory on the corner of Concord and Cincinnati Streets, Green & Green cracker company cooked up its Edgemont product line, a collection of grahams, crackers and gingersnaps that were shipped across the region. But of the company’s four Edgemont products, only one, in particular, a flaky one-by-one-inch cheese cracker, would revolutionize snack time. On May 23, 1921, when Green & Green decided to trademark the tasty treat’s unique name, the Cheez-It was born.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38024 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Dayton was an industrial powerhouse at one time. The deindustrialization of American cities has taken a heavy toll on the city.

One of my daughters taught school at a charter school in Dayton for a little while.

Carillon Park, mentioned in the article, is definitely worth a visit if you find yourself in the area. One of the most interesting exhibits to me was a NCR (National Cash Register) accounting machine that was housed in its own room with all the mechanical parts that made up such a machine arrayed in glass cases around all walls of the room - truly a mechanical marvel.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7433 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My aunt (dad's sister) and uncle lived in Dayton; we used to travel there at least once a year to visit, though I haven't been there in decades. My cousin the dentist still lives there.

I definitely remember the carillon. Also a department store called Rike's. And the Lithuanian church, Holy Cross.

Not a Dayton memory, but part of our travels to and from....

Most of our trips were pre-interstate. I'm pretty sure we used to take US Route 30 through Indiana. For goodness knows what reason, I remember we used to stop at a small restaurant and I would always order a club sandwich, a rare treat for me.

I tend not to have a lot of memories of my childhood; I have no idea why this particular one has stuck for so many years.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38024 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
US Route 30...

https://www.curbsideclassic.co...n-us-hwy-30-in-1948/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Depending on where you were starting from, you very well could have travelled US 30 through a portion of Indiana, but it passes far north of Dayton in Ohio. It would be an interesting exercise to try to recreate the likely route on a map of US highways before the Interstate era.

I've driven all of US 30 from its origin in Atlantic City to part way across Ohio, a lot of it in one longer day. I've also driven all of US 19 from Atlanta, Georgia to Pennsylvania in bits and pieces over the years since my youngest son started college at Georgia Tech. On various trips, I'd decide to forego the Interstates for awhile and spend some time on other highways and US 19 was often one of those.

My wife and my brother-in-law's widow made a trip two years ago across Pennsylvania on US 6. There are a lot of interesting things to see along the older highways, if you're not in a big hurry to get to a particular destination.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7433 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We were coming from Chicago.

I remember that we bailed off Route 30 once we crossed into Ohio and took something south to Dayton; I couldn't tell you what that road was.

I do remember the sign "Welcome to Ohio", which my dad used to jokingly read as "Welcome to Oh-HEE-oh".

edit: I just looked at a map of Ohio. I know we drove through Van Wert and I'm thinking we took 127 south from there.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I love cheez-its. I am such a sophisticate! Big Grin

My SIL lives in South Hadley, and when we drive you have to go through several areas of old abandoned mills and foundries butting up against the Connecticut River. It's such a testament to the ephemeral nature of industry in the US. The last time we drove it looked as though some of the old buildings were being spiffed up and turned into apartments, studios, restaurants, though not all.

Having lived for a bit of time in a converted woolen warehouse in Teneriffe (Brisbane), I can vouch that those places are pretty much concrete boxes, pretty loud, but really cool spaces.

They should have a Cheez-It museum there.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:

My wife and my brother-in-law's widow made a trip two years ago across Pennsylvania on US 6. There are a lot of interesting things to see along the older highways, if you're not in a big hurry to get to a particular destination.

Big Al
Years ago my wife and I took a long bicycle trip along the southern tier of New York state and northern PA, and traveled on US 6 for part of the way. The Pennsylvania "Grand Canyon" was along the route and the gaslit town of Wellsboro, where we stayed at the old-fashioned yet elegant hotel. Very memorable! Indeed, much to see and appreciate!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13835 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post