well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Digital amnesia

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital amnesia
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Is your smartphone ruining your memory? A special report on the rise of ‘digital amnesia’

https://www.theguardian.com/gl...-of-digital-amenesia

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That was interesting, Thanks for posting it!

I changed the settings on my phone a long time ago so that it no longer vibrates or otherwise registers when I get a new email, and I periodically go through and turn off other notifications. I also try to put it somewhere outside of my line of sight while I’m working.

I use my iPad for reading sheet music a lot, and I noticed that during my piano lesson, I sometimes get a banner notification — that’s the kind where a notification shows up along the top of screen regardless of what app you’re using. It is sooo distracting!

I found out that there’s no way (that I could find) to set it up so that zero notifications show in a particular app, so instead I when through and turned off all the banner notifications for everything, one by one.

It shouldn’t be that difficult to shut things out…

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
That was interesting, Thanks for posting it!

I changed the settings on my phone a long time ago so that it no longer vibrates or otherwise registers when I get a new email, and I periodically go through and turn off other notifications. I also try to put it somewhere outside of my line of sight while I’m working.

I use my iPad for reading sheet music a lot, and I noticed that during my piano lesson, I sometimes get a banner notification — that’s the kind where a notification shows up along the top of screen regardless of what app you’re using. It is sooo distracting!

I found out that there’s no way (that I could find) to set it up so that zero notifications show in a particular app, so instead I when through and turned off all the banner notifications for everything, one by one.

It shouldn’t be that difficult to shut things out…

Would Apple’s focus mode work to temporarily turn off notifications? I don’t use it, but it sounds like it’s what you’re looking for.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
If the sheet music you are playing is stored on your phone, maybe going to airplane mode would reduce or prevent notifications.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
AdagioM -- Doh! I forgot about that! I have all kinds of customized settings in the focus options on my phone, hopefully it will help with the iPad.

PJ, I did do that but then sometimes my teacher wants to send me a score or something in the middle of the lesson and the timelag for getting airplane mode off, getting my email to download, is too much for the middle of a 45-minute lesson.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Definitely set up a customized focus mode! I find it’s very effective - sometimes so effective that I sit frustrated waiting for a 2-factor authentication text to arrive when it actually did arrive and I just got no notification.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4095 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post