well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Check your basement for treasures

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check your basement for treasures
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Perthshire’s Blair Castle has a long history — and, as it turns out, that history also includes a hidden trove of very historic whisky. How historic, you might ask? “Distilled nearly 200 years ago and potentially sampled by Queen Victoria” historic, apparently. And if the idea of owning some whisky deemed fit for royalty sounds intriguing to you, well, you might be in luck this fall.

Last year, Blair Castle Resident Trustee Bertie Troughton discovered a cache of 40 whisky bottles in the castle’s cellar. As per Whisky Auctioneer’s announcement of the pending sale, the whisky was likely distilled in 1833 and bottled eight years later, then rebottled in 1932.

As VinePair’s Olivia White reports, two dozen of those bottles are now set to be sold at auction in November.

https://www.insidehook.com/dai...placement=newsletter

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37892 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I visited Blair Castle back in the 70s. They didn't offer me a sip ... Big Grin

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I picked up a couple of bottles of wine at an estate sale a couple of weeks ago...not nearly as old or fancy as the scotch story...but dang, the first bottle was terrific, and only $5 (Spanish Riserva).

Celebrating small blessings...

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Those Spanish wines often can age for-seemingly-ever!

The oldest wine I have ever consumed was this bottle. I forget if I mentioned it before ...

My eldest had just defended his thesis. He has a friend who was prominent in the poker scene in Vegas. That friend likes his Madeira well aged. He opened this up to celebrate.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post