well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    "New" Car Search
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"New" Car Search
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted
Mrs. Mark's E320 4Matic Wagon, while still running strong, is unfortunately rusting to the extent that there are now holes in several areas of the body panels. We have known since we bought it that it would be a problem due to some issue that Mercedes had with their rust treatment back in 2002-2003. They extended the rust warranty to 10 years due to the this issue but our car didn't start to rust until well after that.

We really like the form factor of the E Wagon vs say a GLC SUV due to the increase in rear seat leg room and hauling capacity. They are great when you have a dog along. They also have the rear facing third row seat which the kids love. They are wonderful highway cruisers for long road trips.

There are a couple in our price range in the Chicago area and we will be making the trip either later today or tomorrow.

Right now, this is the car at the top of the list...

That is a 2014 "Sports Edition" with the AMG wheels and body panels. It has 50k miles on the odometer and had a very minor accident early on which is certified as cosmetic damage only. I'm normally not OK with buying a car that has had parts re-sprayed, in this case the bumper cover and hood (bonnet for our European friends). The price is right and this car should last us at least 10 years. No rust proof treatment failures that I know about since the Chrysler days so maybe it will be a 20 year car...

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A beaut.

Drive it by and let us see it in person when you buy it!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I see a fair number of them around here, if that's any judge of car quality/owner satisfaction.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful car! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Yesterday we traded in our very tired 2003 E320 4Matic Wagon for a 2015 E350 4Matic Wagon with 14k miles on the odometer.

It is not the car that was posted above which is a 2014 with 50k miles. The one we found has more features. We stretched the budget just a bit to get a newer, lower mileage example. Plus we just love the color scheme on the interior.

The technology advances are impressive to say the least. The ride quality and quiet cabin are on par with my 2005 S500.

It still looks like, and drives like a brand new car. We intend to keep this one for at least 10 years.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Nice! I like the lighter interior as well, and your butt will thank you in the summer. Smiler

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
The darker top of the dash, and the leather on the steering wheel are a color that we both decided are a "chocolate brown"

It just feels less "generic" than an all black or all dark interior.

The analog clock in the middle of the dash is a nice touch of style.

It has, very good voice recognition, bluetooth interface to the phone for address book, calling, playing music, all using voice commands, blind spot detection, lane keep assist, parking assist, and collision avoidance. It has 5 cameras that also provide a "360 degree" view of the car and everything around it from a vantage point above the car. Very cool technology.

Made sure that all of it is covered under warranty for 5 years or 50,000 additional miles.

We just got back from testing the lane keep assist. It is very cool. I didn't push it to auto-correct and I am still paranoid about pushing things to far to see if the car reacts. lol I am not even sure it will auto-correct at this point. I am still researching all of these features and their proper operation. What it does is simply vibrate the steering wheel in a subtle yet very noticeable manner. 3 short duration "waves" of vibration is the only tactile feedback you get. I like it a lot. Parking assist activates the 360 degree camera and shows you the car within the actual lines of the parking spot. Super easy to get it straight and centered within the lines.

So far we like this one a lot. We will see how the long term goes.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
blind spot detection

I have been tempted to swap off my Toyota just to get this feature. Sharon's car has it and I really like it.

Love your new car. The interior is especially nice! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Our sales representative's name is Steven Miller. Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
blind spot detection

I have been tempted to swap off my Toyota just to get this feature. Sharon's car has it and I really like it.

Love your new car. The interior is especially nice! ThumbsUp

My new Honda has something I love even more ... adaptive cruise control. Set it to let's say 65. If you approach a car going slower, it slows down, and leaves a (maybe even more than) safe distance between you and the car in front. If that car moves over, it'll go back up to 65. All without any manual intervention.

The second new feature that I love is the heads up display. It projects a digital speedometer onto the bottom of the windshield. Even better ... next to your speed, it can display the speed limit. How does it know? It's gotta be pulling from the GPS database it uses.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Looks great. Hope it is trouble free.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That’s really nice, Mark. Now I want one too.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post