well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Wanted to share some good personal news
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted to share some good personal news
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted
I just wanted to let y'all know that I passed my doctoral defense yesterday to earn a PhD in English Literature from the University of Exeter for my work on AGATHA CHRISTIE, WITNESS TO THE EVOLUTION: WOMEN, JUSTICE, AND THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, which explores the ways that Christie responded in her fiction to the momentous changes in the legal status of women over a half-century-plus career that began as women's right to vote was recognized in the UK and ended just before Margaret Thatcher became the country's first female prime minister.

If anybody would like to geek out over crime fiction, feminist studies, genetic criticism, adaptation studies, or the bestselling novelist of all time, I'm your girl. Smiler

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15565 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
woo hoo!!

Congrats!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7602 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25850 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAY TO GO DR. MARY ANNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!!!! Congratulations! groupwave

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Congrats! It's an honorary degree or you have two doctorates? Either way, wow!

Posts: 25287 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Dr. Mary Anna!

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Big congrats, MA! What an accomplishment!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Thanks, y'all!

Daniel, I didn't have a doctorate before. My program recognizes an MFA in creative writing as a terminal degree, so I was hired on the basis of that degree and my publication history. An MFA is an arts degree, not a research degree, and I've always had one foot in both worlds. About five years ago, I decided I wanted to develop my research interests by devoting serious study to literary criticism.

Several decades of Agatha Christie's papers are held at the University of Exeter, where I went to do some archival research in 2018, when I had a fellowship to support the trip. I talked to some of the professors there about my research interests, and they said that Exeter offered a distance option that turned out to work very well for me.

The British system is much more oriented to self-directed study. You have to prepare a proposal outlining your research before you're even admitted. Once I'd prepared that to their satisfaction, I was admitted to the program as a master's student. About two years in, I passed an oral examination to be admitted for candidacy for the PhD.

I've had monthly supervision meetings on Zoom and Skype since 2018, plus much passing-back-and-forth of my manuscript for review and comment. Instead of taking courses, I'd come away from a meeting with a suggestion that, for example, I investigate genetic criticism as a scaffold for my argument. Rather than taking a class, I'd gather a bunch of materials from the library, so that I could read up on the subject. I would never have had time to take formal classwork, and I'm pretty much of an autodidact anyway, so this approach suited me well.

Now I have a manuscript that I'd like to edit into book, so that's what I'll do next.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15565 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it was great program, I’m glad!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18859 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Best news in a while. Congratulations!

Posts: 9624 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Mary Anna, PhD!

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That’s fantastic!

Congratulations! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35084 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Congratulation, Doc! happydance

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12732 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Totally awesome. As always!!

Congratulations, Mary Anna.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38215 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post