well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mise en place
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mise en place
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
My Mom cooked this way - you set everything out before you start cooking. Chefs apparently do this as a matter of course.

I never have but for the first meal cooked in the new kitchen (I can’t find a damned thing) I decided to give it a shot. I liked it and may start doing it as a matter of course.

Do you do mis en place when you cook?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I do but never thought of it as a thing. Shrug

I will add that I put away things as I use them..so by the time I am done, the kitchen is pretty clean..

My Mom always cooked and left all out..it drove me crazy....I learned the 'clean as you go' as I worked in fast food as a teen.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I have no philosophical objection to mise en place.
In practice I am limited by available countertop space in my kitchen, so not every dish can be done mise en place.
Then there are some things I want to minimize their time outside of refrigeration so for those items I would rather do "just in time" rather than "mise en place."

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Some things like stir-fries really require it. You don’t want something to burn while you’re chopping.

Mis-en-place also requires an ample number of dishes or bowls.

I tend to gauge how much I need to do it based on the complexity of the recipe.

Sometimes I’ll do clean-as-you-go. But if it’s a complex dinner, I leave the cleanup to my other half. Wink

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Mise en place is essential if you're cooking anything complex and don't want to ruin things by having to essentially stop your cooking process three times while you go find, chop, shred, dice, or otherwise prepare things before using them.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Started mis en place the second time I cooked a dish that required a lot of timing that left no time to prep or find one thing while doing another.
I like it.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
A lot of dishes start with sautéing onions, so you can get away with doing other tasks during that time.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
A lot of dishes start with sautéing onions, so you can get away with doing other tasks during that time.

That's kinda the way I work--not really mise en place, but planning ahead for when I'm going to peel and chop. So when I make beef vegetable soup, I cut up the meat and chop the vegetables and get them started cooking. Then I chop things like potatoes and carrots that take a long time and add them when I put in the water or broth. Then I get the quicker cooking veggies ready when the carrots are nearly cooked and throw them in. And at the very end, I chop any fresh herbs and throw them in.

There are plenty of gaps in between those stages to do things like make garlic bread or salad. I can use those gaps to do some dishwashing and cleanup when I'm feeling really energetic, but I've never mastered the art of getting it all done before the meal's ready.

That's the way my mother taught me to do it.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Usually. It makes cooking much easier if everything is prepped and measured in advance. Always if it is a complicated dish.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Prep everything ahead of time. That way I skip the oh-carp-i-forgot- to-put-in x moment.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I do it for complicated things, or where you really have no spare time to do it on the fly--like stir fries, as rp says.

If I have help in the kitchen I always have them help set up a mise en place. I do like it a lot, but I find that I can do a fair amount of prep while other pieces are cooking.

I think the hardest thing in cooking a meal, by far, is to have everything ready at the same time. It's become an "issue" (cough, cough) at times when I holler that dinner's ready and then some family member says, "Is it OK if I make (a salad, a quick sauce, a sandwich)...."? No. The answer is no. Big Grin

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My problem is usually that I'll start making something, then realize that someone in the house used up the last of the newt extract or the coarse arugula flakes and didn't put it on the shopping list, so now I have to scour the kitchen for a suitable substitute. Setting everything out beforehand would help. But, we don't have a lot of counter space, so it's tough.

I am the only one in the house who is familiar with the concept of clean-as-you-go. Others are more familiar with the mountain-of-dirty-dishes-in-the-sink-that-might-get-washed-in-a-couple-days method of cooking.

I do have the timing of scrambled eggs and toast for one, two, or three down so everything is ready at the same time. Anything more complex than than is a toss-up. I think the real secret is knowing what can sit for a while and what is better served as soon as it comes out of the microwave oven. Salad... make and stick back in the fridge. Mashed potatoes... add a little extra milk and keep them warm. Salmon... gotta eat it as soon as it's done.

When we do have dinner at the same time, which isn't often, we seem to do a lot of DIY things like tacos where we heat up the beans, cook some meat glop, then grate the cheese, chop a tomato, and stuff, so it just needs to all get on the counter about the same time.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I think the hardest part of meal time should be waiting for the delivery guy.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Yes, for the most part, but like beelady said, what I really like to do is to clean and put away as I go so the cleanup at the end isn’t such a big deal. Nothing worse than finishing eating dinner and then having to deal with a trashed kitchen.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
My problem is usually that I'll start making something, then realize that someone in the house used up the last of the

you forgot AND PUT THE FREAKING EMPTY BOX BACK INTO THE PANTRY.

Not that I'm bitter.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post