well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Doorbell camera for mom - recommendations?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doorbell camera for mom - recommendations?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
I think some of you have doorbell cameras, can anyone recommend one for me?

My mom wants one. She lives alone and her front door doesn't even have a peep hole, so that's one reason she wants one, besides just general safety. I don't have one myself, so I'm not sure how to advise.

She uses an iPhone and iPad (she also has a PC but uses the i-devices more) so something that's easy to use and has a good interface for an i-app would be good.

Oh and she doesn't have any other security system right now.

I believe Ring is the famous one, right? Are there other brands and/or companies that are recommended? Ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance!!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18564 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Don't have one. Well, actually, have one that I bought two years ago and never got around to installing...however some general things to consider....

Ease of installation. Wired vs battery powered might be relevant.

You mentioned she doesn't currently have any other security system hardware. Might she want to expand to include smoke alarms and such?

I don't know how the fees work for these puppies, either.

Big names are Ring, Nest, and Simpli Safe.

Maybe you can use this as a jumping off point:

https://www.security.org/home-...-nest-vs-simplisafe/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I love my Ubiquity Unifi G4 Doorbells but the system would be too complex and expensive for your mom.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks, WTG! I'm reading now.

Mik, since I'm not there to install it for her, you're right, we can't do complex.

Posts: 18564 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Get one where you can adjust the (view? throw?) how far out it looks. My daughter had a ring that was continually going off. Her front door is very close to the sidewalk, and her neighborhood has a bunch of walkers. If someone walked by her house, but was near the edge of the sidewalk closest to her house, the doorbell would start up. It happened multiple times per hour and drove her crazy until she figured out she could reduce the view window.

You can also set them up to either do nothing, so you manually turn it on to see who's at the door, all the way up to beeping your phone (via an app) and filming the area. So that would be another thing to check, depending on how your mom wants to use it.

My daughter eventually set it to just alert her on the app if someone rang the doorbell, since there are places in their place where you can't hear if it's been rung.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nina, that's super helpful, thank you!