well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Rushmore

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rushmore
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
""We will expose this dangerous movement, protect our nation's children, end this radical assault and preserve our beloved American way of life," Trump said. He mysteriously described those who would tear down statues of racist leaders from the past as "a new far left fascism that demands absolute allegiance."
"If you do not speak its language, perform its rituals, recite its mantras and follow its commandments, then you will be censored, banished, blacklisted, persecuted and punished," Trump said. "It's not gonna happen to us," he said to cheers, as he revived his familiar "us versus them" language. "Make no mistake. This left-wing cultural revolution is designed to overthrow the American Revolution."
CNN

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Musician Neil Young is upset again with President Donald Trump for playing his music on Friday during the White House's Mount Rushmore event celebrating Independence Day.

"This is NOT ok with me," Young wrote on Twitter Friday, responding to a video of "Rockin' In The Free World" heard blaring at Trump's event.

In another video of the event with "Like a Hurricane" playing, Young wrote, "I stand in solidarity with the Lakota Sioux" and reiterated, "this is NOT ok with me."

CNN has reached out to the White House for comment.

Young previously objected to Trump's use of "Rockin' In The Free World" in 2015 when the song was played during Trump's presidential announcement.

"Donald Trump was not authorized to use 'Rockin' In The Free World' in his presidential candidacy announcement," Young's management company said then, noting that the singer was a supporter of Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders' 2016 campaign.

Trump's campaign manager at the time, Corey Lewandowski, told Rolling Stone that the campaign had licensed the song, but would respect Young's wish and not use it again, adding that "Trump is a big fan and likes Neil very much."

In February, Young, who became a US citizen this year, penned an open letter to Trump calling him "a disgrace to my country" and that "'Rockin' In The Free World' is not a song you can trot out at one of your rallies."

The Canadian native said he began his path to US citizenship because he wanted to vote against Trump in the 2020 election.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/04...ore-event/index.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37859 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Like everything else Trump, it's a scam. They don't have an ASCAP license.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/d...gs-ascap-1202973371/

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Con artist.

Posts: 24701 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Canadian native said he began his path to US citizenship because he wanted to vote against Trump in the 2020 election.

OMG I didn't know that! That's awesome!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18401 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Like everything else Trump, it's a scam. They don't have an ASCAP license.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/d...gs-ascap-1202973371/

ASCAP has deep pockets. They should sue the creep.

The entire Rushmore spectacle was obscene. I can think of no other word for it. It would have played well at Nuremberg (and I'm not typically one to jump onto the Godwin bandwagon). The entire speech was a xenophobic, hate-filled diatribe, meant only for True Believers.

Posts: 35373 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
CHAS that's a riot - and brilliant too - although I'd be hard put to say just what it symbolizes. (The way our country has completely turned on its head morally - especially in terms of sexual depravity?)

Just one thing, the giant busts of our modern antiheros (need stronger word, but can't come up with one off the bat), are FAR too handsome.

I don't like seeing them in portraits they themselves would probably enjoy!

By contrast, remembering how poor Winston Churchill was given the opposite treatment in his late life painted portrait.

Even speaking as a former portrait artist, I sympathize with him, although ordinarily I wouldn't approve of the model destroying an unbecoming portrait. Especially out of what could be considered vanity - also when the nation paid for it to be painted by someone considered a top-notch portrait artist of the day. (Feh!)

It was indeed a travesty, and not just measured by his ego. I think such a painting ought by rights be fluffed up a bit, to make his likeness more heroic, both for history and for him. Sure he was an aging man, but there was plenty of room to memorialize him as both younger and stronger. Such memorabilia has always been "fluffed up" a bit. (I'm glad his wife secretly burned it. (Not sure why the painting was even given to him - thought it was supposed to be hung in a national gallery.)

Anyhow, so much for that digression to illustrate my objection to these very flattering monuments to those four beyond-scoundrels of our sad times.
I realize it's kind of a political cartoon, but they look WAY too good. Mad

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post