well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How rude is it to ask someone about their print run?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How rude is it to ask someone about their print run?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this has changed since I lived there, but in Israel asking "personal questions" is a way of life - comparing raises, weight, how many children the other has (and WHY!? with suggestions on how one might change the figure), age, rent cost, etc.

This is the kind of thing that simply floored new immigrants especially those coming from English/German speaking countries (="Yekkes" in slang).

Cross-cultural psychology (including psychopathology) has always been one of my fascinations so this was to have been a most probable basis of my dissertation.

For now, I'll just mention it as a topic giving you all something to think about - that what's considered private varies culturally by quite a lot.

In the US a current controversy is whether potential employers have the right to ask an interviewee's former salary (and how to handle the inquiry). As one might expect, female prospects' salaries are considerably lower in all fields. This is self-perpetuating, and has a good bit to do with women's discomfort overall in handling confrontation and self-advocacy. Likewise, asking for raises.

It's up in the air whether this will become a legal issue - whether interviewers may be forbidden to make such inquiries.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congratulations on your book contract, SK! That is a huge deal! Bask in the glow!

Thank you!!! (I'll start basking when it's actually submitted! WhoMe

Thanks for sharing more about your experience. Yeah, you don't know what you don't know. And sometimes, the pros or insiders (in your case, your editor or other folks at the publishers) are so "in" their field, they don't realize or know what to tell those of us who are totally new to it.

quote:
My editor was so unaware (again, my fault) of the potential audience for Grand Obsession, he planned on taking me and my husband out for a quiet drink after my debut reading at B&N, just the three of us. Those of you who were there know that it was SRO, and my editor, on seeing with shock and surprise that he didn't have to soften the blow as he usually did, went home to his kids instead of out with our party.

That's such an awesome story!!! Smiler

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18411 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
So for more background and how I got to this question.

I have a friend (American, native speaker of English) who wrote a work of fiction in Japanese that won a literary award (top prize) in Japan. Part of the top prize is a book contract with Japan’s biggest publishing house. His book was published last fall.

So yeah, this is a huge deal! It would be a huge deal for anyone, but for a native speaker of English writing in Japanese, well it’s an even bigger deal. There are very few published authors in Japanese who are truly non-native speakers (didn’t grow up in Japan or grow up bilingually) and who have English as their first language.

I’ve designed a class around this book and am teaching it this semester, so he and I have been messaging a lot about all kinds of things related to it, and also to the publishing industry in Japan etc. He’s going to give a talk to my class near the end of the semester.

Most of my students bought his book from Amazon Japan. I recently noticed that the book was unavailable and learned from him that it had sold out and they were doing a second print run. Wow!

Then the other day, I learned of another American who just had a fictional work that she wrote (in Japanese) published with a reputable publisher (though not as famous or prestigious as the publisher my friend’s book is with).

The news article about her said that her print run was 3000 copies. I had no idea what a standard print run is so I had no frame of reference for whether that’s a standard amount, less that usual, more etc…

I had thought I would ask my friend about his print runs, but then realized that, while my reason for asking was not related to interest in how much he stands to make from the book, it ties into his earnings and probably was not a good thing to ask. Hence this thread!

BTW, P*D, I wasn’t thinking about academic books here, but of course since starting this thread, I’ve been googling around and can see that print runs for academic books are much smaller!

My book is under contract with a trade academic publisher based in the UK (so, not a UP). I need to go back and look at my contract, but I don’t think it lists a print run, although it does include ISBNs for hardcover, paperback and ebook. Whatever that means (IOW, I think that doesn’t mean there will necessarily be a paperback version, I think the numbers are put there just in case. Although I do think there will be an ebook version, if for nothing else than for library copies)

I am not expecting to earn any money from this book. Just tenure. WhoMe

Anyway, this is all new to me, I find it fascinating to think about all the details.

Congratulations on your book contract, SK! That is a huge deal! Bask in the glow! Big Grin

So print runs are not decided usually until after the publicity department has had a go at drumming up interest. That usually happens as soon as your book appears in the publisher's catalogue, and the editor meets with the sales team to get them all excited about your book. After they have lauded your book to booksellers, they take a look at preliminary sales orders and extrapolate what the initial press run should be from those initial orders. At least, this is how it is done at the big publishing houses. I don't know about academic publishers.

So a small initial press run just means the response the sales team got wasn't overwhelming.

But that may not be the fault of the book or even reflect on the author.

Maybe the jacket design was lame. Maybe the inside flap copy sucked. Maybe the agent didn't follow through on providing blurbs from famous authors in his stable. There are so many moving parts to this.

In my own case, I did a terrible job of marketing Grand Obsession before it was even written. I didn't understand what a huge platform I had, or even that that platform mattered to the publisher. I mean, they didn't even look at Piano World until after the book was published. When they saw how many unique views it got every day... well, I would have received a much bigger advance and press run had they known about that. That was my fault for not understanding how book markets work.

Then, another mistake I made--though it could not be helped--I missed my last deadline, and the book was already in the summer catalogue. And they only put the book in the catalogue once. So when the book came out in January, it wasn't in the winter catalogue. So, pre-orders were pretty much non-existent. Sales people weren't selling it. Again, I had no understanding of how this all worked.

So the publisher's initial press run was pretty small. Upsettingly small.

But then, another surprise: rave reviews in all the major news outlets. This left the publisher scrambling--the book went into a second, then a third printing, all in one week. Then they did a big press run and started paying for prime placement in book stores. And I went on the road and hand sold it and gave away copies, and went on TV and radio all over the country. I paid my own way or I got others to pay my way who benefited from the book. And suddenly I started to understand marketing, and its critical importance to your book, even before the book is written.

It takes a certain kind of mindset that has to be acquired.

So yes,the number of my first press run humiliated me. Anyone who had asked about it would have been putting salt in a wound.

And since a huge majority of books go straight to the remainders table, the vast majority of writers are going to feel the same way about their initial press run. The fact that most famous writers have lived through that humbling experience isn't of much comfort. You pour your blood and sweat into something for years, and then nobody takes much notice.

My experience was an anomaly. My editor was so unaware (again, my fault) of the potential audience for Grand Obsession, he planned on taking me and my husband out for a quiet drink after my debut reading at B&N, just the three of us. Those of you who were there know that it was SRO, and my editor, on seeing with shock and surprise that he didn't have to soften the blow as he usually did, went home to his kids instead of out with our party.

Bottom line, nobody knows what will or won't sell. It's a mystery.

Wish I’d known all this last year when I wrote my book, Pique! First time author, new publishing company (mine is the 2nd book; the owner of the company has 2 other books published by a mainstream publisher, and her 3rd book was the first for this company). I have learned so much in the process. Who is doing the publicity? Me! Does the company do any? Not really. Hmmm.

On the other hand, this gave me a great opportunity to have a book to give me credibility. My advance wasn’t huge (this is not JF’s “silly money”) but it was enough that I was happy to have a book in my name and some pocket money. Yarn companies gave me yarn support, so I didn’t have to buy yarn for the designs. Oooh, wouldn’t “piano support” be fun?

I found the people to do the blurbs for the jacket (no agents here).

I’ll be interested to get my first accounting from the publisher, to get an idea if I’ll ever earn past my advance.

Congrats, SK! And thanks for a very interesting topic. I was wondering why it felt so weird when Mr. AM’s ex-boss asked me about my initial print run. Now I know.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9796 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats, SK!

Thank you, you as well! Smiler

quote:
And thanks for a very interesting topic.

It is interesting, so many details that you just never think about unless you're on the other side!

Posts: 18411 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Fun to read about all the authors in our midst, new and long-time celebrities!

Congratulations to you all - and yes, what a fascinating topic.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proud of you.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 24 July 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Frycek, Blush

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a personal question, although I could certainly see asking it during the kind of conversation one has at a bar at a writer's conference, when everybody is trying to figure out to what degree their publishers are scr*wing them.

Even so, I would not necessarily believe what I was told. Someone in a position to know once gave me some insider scoop about one of the writers who was touting the brave new world of self-publishing the most loudly, including dollar amounts he made while traditionally published compared to dollar amounts he was making on his own. She said that these claims could not possibly be true, and that they didn't even make mathematical sense. So let the reader beware.

P*D mentioned ebook sales as a complicating factor. This is even more true, from where I sit, for audiobook sales, which are reported to me in a lump sum with no information on per-listen royalties. Because of these non-paper formats, print runs mean a lot less than they used to.

Print-on-demand technology is another complicating factor. My previous publisher, Poisoned Pen Press, had an unusual business model. They kept the first print run lean, estimating pretty accurately what would sell during the release, then meeting later demand by continuously printing enough books on demand to keep warehouses stocked, doing it in small bursts that they didn't consider "printings." Neither I nor they got rich, but this method has kept all of the books in print in paperback for nearly twenty years, with royalties on the first books still coming in after all this time.

My new publisher, Sourcebooks, followed a similar model for the last couple of Faye books. It remains to be seen how printings for the new series will work. The first one will be out in June, and the reviews will be coming in any day now, so I should find out soon.

As for academic books, Bloomsbury seems to be planning the usual short academic print run for the upcoming Agatha Christie book. At $150 a pop for the hardcover, it's probably mostly going to sell to academic libraries, and Bloomsbury knows how many of those there are. There is, though, the complicating factor of Christie's massive popularity. Some collectors and nonacademic libraries will buy it, even at that price, so it will sell better than many academic books. I feel pretty confident that there will be a paperback at a friendlier price point, and it will presumably sell to Christie fans. I would expect a good-for-academia print run for that one. If Bloomsbury is smart, they'll release it at Christmastime and market it as a gift for Christie-lovers with the same tagline that Collins used to market her books when she was alive: "A Christie for Christmas!"

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mary Anna, thanks for sharing these comments!

The audio book thing is frustrating! They (whoever they is, the Borg maybe?) should know how many audio books are downloaded. Phooey!

Another interesting (i.e. frustrating) thing about Japanese books: I can buy physical books from Japan, usually I buy from Amazon Japan, but there are a few big sites that will ship to the US. Sometimes a Japanese-language book will also be available from US-Amazon's site.

But I can't buy a Kindle book from Amazon Japan while being physically in the US (unless I set up ... what would it be, not a VPN but some kind of stealth thing that made it look like I was in Japan, well, and I'd have to have a Japanese CC, which I no longer do).