well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Oh noes, not dark chocolate

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh noes, not dark chocolate
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
High levels of cadmium and lead in some dark chocolate.

I’m gonna die.

Consumer Reports

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I guess it's not only dark chocolate, but all chocolate, just that dark chocolate has more because it's more concentrated.

I notice with dismay that whereas they're apparently identifying the source of the heavy metals as the dust, soil, probably even the cacao trees rather than an inherent ingredient (they say the older trees have more cadmium, meaning, I assume, that they've had more time to absorb cadmium) but no one appears to be worrying about the populations who live in the chocolate growing areas. They must be all the more exposed to the toxins.

Nobody cares? Frowner

We mourn the need to avoid or at least cut back on our chocolate consumption, but it's basically a luxury for us.

I do wonder just when these toxic metals began to be part of chocolate harvesting; i.e, when did the heavy metals begin to essentially coat the shells? I doubt that cacao contained them way back when the Mayan and other early civilizations harvested it.
(?)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Sure enough,
quote:
Why are there heavy metals in food?
Many heavy metals, including lead and cadmium, appear naturally in soil, and they make their way into the food supply from the ground. But some have been added to the environment by human activity globally, including pollution caused by farming, industry, and transportation.

quote:
For instance, lead was used in gasoline in the U.S. for decades until it was banned in 1996, and it spread through the atmosphere and settled on the ground, where it remains in the soil to this day, says Wright. “There are measurable amounts [of heavy metals] in pretty much all foods,” he says, “simply because there are metals in our soil.”

where heavy metals in foods come from

And note that the ncbi reports that many foods contain the same heavy metals.

Other foods containing heavy metals

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting those links, Amanda. They help to place the issue in context.

I've been aware of the arsenic-rice link for a long time. I tend to associate mercury with Minamata disease, although coal-burning power plants have also been implicated in increased mercury pollution in the environment.

I think the larger message may be to avoid the obvious large risks and try not to worry too much about the smaller ones.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links, Amanda.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I knew there was a reason I didn't like dark chocolate!!

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
but i can die happy!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post