well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Good fiction anyone?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good fiction anyone?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Beartown

Not the cliche you expect.

"complex characters and a tight narrative."

The first third of the book was setting up for the remainder and little else. Almost put it down.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25737 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes! I read it last year and loved it.

Right now, I'm enjoying "The Overstory," a series of short stories that all feature trees as a cohesive thread. To be clear, it is a series of distinct stories that don't connect, but all feature trees in some way. Sounds weird, but it isn't. Beautiful writing, won the Pulitzer and short-listed for the Man Booker prize. Totally recommended.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Wish I'd seen this recommendation a week ago. Just got back from a week in a cabin on a lake. We mined the local used book store. Just finished reading "An Equal Music" by Vikram Seth. About a second violinist in a string quartet and his ill fated romance with a pianist. Lots of obscure musical references and very well written.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21368 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Somehow I never read fiction and spend too much time on the Times and New Yorker.

But this past week, while in Europe for rehearsals and concerts, I underwent an involuntary media blackout. The entertainment system was kaput on the flights in both directions. The hotel TV had no English-language channels that were working. I had no smartphone or laptop with me.

But I'd brought a paperback copy of Moby-Dick from the library, and actually started reading it. Somehow I'd never read it in my youth. So I'm now 120 pages or so into it, about a fifth of the way, and I'm getting into it.

In honor of Melville's 200th birthday!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13834 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I love Vikram Seth--haven't read anything of his I didn't enjoy thoroughly.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Highly recommended to me: A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. I have it reserved from the library (for Kindle). I also reserved his Rules of Civility, which will come to me quicker, since it’s older and not in demand. Have you read these?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Y'all are voracious readers.

Daniel, expecting my new glasses any day

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Chas, Fredrik Backman is a fantastic author. Read his other stuff if you haven't already.

I've added Beartown to my reading list!

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
Highly recommended to me: A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. I have it reserved from the library (for Kindle). I also reserved his Rules of Civility, which will come to me quicker, since it’s older and not in demand. Have you read these?

A friend recommended A Gentleman in Moscow. She loved it. Could not get interested.

Posts: 25737 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
Chas, Fredrik Backman is a fantastic author. Read his other stuff if you haven't already.

I've added Beartown to my reading list!

Will be looking at more of Backman's work.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I recently read a book called Catacombs. It was so good, I re-read it several times.

Wink

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I recently read a book called Catacombs. It was so good, I re-read it several times.

Wink

Have it. Must read Burials first. That will be my next book.
Somehow I had not read Artifacts until recently. It is super.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Correction: The stories in "The Overstory" CONNECT! That's all I'm going to say, but it is totally incredible writing.

Smiler

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I just finished Relics. It was in my travel bag, so I only read it on airplanes and in hotels. It took me about three years.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I just finished Relics. It was in my travel bag, so I only read it on airplanes and in hotels. It took me about three years.

I'd be so lost. I can't remember what I read last week.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post