well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    $148m He Doesn't Have ...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$148m He Doesn't Have ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
A bankruptcy filing is an obvious next move. He can get rid of this judgement and all the attorney fees he owes.

He has probably hidden some assets anticipating this.

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17679 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Surely Trump will give him some pointers on hiding any assets he has not already hidden and how to sleaze around some bankruptcy rules.
Hope they both get caught in the act.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
A bankruptcy filing is an obvious next move. He can get rid of this judgement and all the attorney fees he owes.

Yes, but wouldn't his entire "estate," such as it exists, be forfeit to the plaintiffs? And if he illegally shielded assets, that's the basis of another criminal prosecution.

I would have no objection to seeing him reduced to the standard of living of the average American.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd have thought that too, but Alex Jones was unable to get rid of the debt owed to the plaintiffs.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought that punitive damages were generally not escapable via bankruptcy. Maybe this is a state-by-state thing, or me not knowing what I’m talking about?

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That's what I think as well. Debt incurred from willful misconduct cannot be discharged, methinks.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
"Dischargeability depends upon what else the jury concludes. The Bankruptcy Code says that debts based on liability “for willful and malicious injury by the debtor to another entity or to property of another entity” are specifically excluded from the scope of the bankruptcy discharge.

The Depp v. Heard jury found that Ms. Heard had acted intentionally and with actual malice to cause harm to Mr. Depp. This means that the jury’s award of damages is likely not dischargeable in bankruptcy."
[URL=Dischargeability depends upon what else the jury concludes. The Bankruptcy Code says that debts based on liability “for willful and malicious injury by the debtor to another entity or to property of another entity” are specifically excluded from the scope of the bankruptcy discharge. The Depp v. Heard jury found that Ms. Heard had acted intentionally and with actual malice to cause harm to Mr. Depp. This means that the jury’s award of damages is likely not dischargeable in bankruptcy.]From a casual search[/URL]

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CHAS:
"Dischargeability depends upon what else the jury concludes. The Bankruptcy Code says that debts based on liability “for willful and malicious injury by the debtor to another entity or to property of another entity” are specifically excluded from the scope of the bankruptcy discharge.

The Depp v. Heard jury found that Ms. Heard had acted intentionally and with actual malice to cause harm to Mr. Depp. This means that the jury’s award of damages is likely not dischargeable in bankruptcy."
Dischargeability depends upon what else the jury concludes. The Bankruptcy Code says that debts based on liability “for willful and malicious injury by the debtor to another entity or to property of another entity” are specifically excluded from the scope of the bankruptcy discharge. The Depp v. Heard jury found that Ms. Heard had acted intentionally and with actual malice to cause harm to Mr. Depp. This means that the jury’s award of damages is likely not dischargeable in bankruptcy."

carp This is from a casual search. Cannot find the edit button, etc.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
That's what I think as well. Debt incurred from willful misconduct cannot be discharged, methinks.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

A bankruptcy lawyer’s point of view:

quote:
I believe that a court would rule that it is an intentional tort, which would make it non-dischargeable.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Even under that standard, the plaintiffs can only recover up to the contents of his estate, right?

And could there be another "more senior" claimant with rights to share in that estate?

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
He may be able to keep his home
https://www.nolo.com/legal-enc...exemption-your-state

Posts: 17679 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Even under that standard, the plaintiffs can only recover up to the contents of his estate, right?

Yes, after distribution of his estate to creditors, the rest of his debt is discharged.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
So they cannot garnish his income for the rest of his life. Too bad.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Piano*Dad:

Yes, after distribution of his estate to creditors, the rest of his debt is discharged.

Not if it’s non-dischargeable.

I don’t know how a bankruptcy court would react. I just know that they didn’t let Alex Jones discharge his debt to the plaintiffs.