well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Zombie Fires

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zombie Fires
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I'd never heard them called zombie fires, but I'm familiar with the phenomenon.

Our vacation home was in the middle of a cedar forest and the soil is the peaty mix that's described in your Wired piece. Neighbors had a firepit constructed on their property and had a fire burning there for several days while they camped. They put the fire out, including pouring water on it, before they left.

A few days later someone who was driving by noticed smoke in the woods. They called the fire department and the firemen found that there was a peat fire smoldering in the woods well away from the original firepit. It was heading for some nearby homes.

I was surprised how far the fire moved laterally. Scary stuff.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37939 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The South Canyon fire of 1994 killed 14 firefighters. The canyon is a few miles west of Glenwood Springs.
Some attributed the fires that still burn in 19th century abandoned coal mines under the area. There are cracks
in the earth that let the fires escape.
The fires are the source of heat for a small hot springs that attract locals.
There was another fire there last August.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post