well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Rao's goes online

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rao's goes online
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
Rao's is a pretty famous Brooklyn(?) Italian restaurant. They've had a line of pastas and sauces, etc. for quite a while that I regularly use. Very high quality. Now they are going online and adding to their lines. Here is a link to their recipes using their products, and to the online store. I highly recommend.

https://www.raos.com/blogs/recipes

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I always wondered why a nice Indian family was making pasta sauce ... Wink

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Rao's sauces are great. I buy the marinara at Costco in the big jars. They had the arrabiata for a short time a few years ago but never restocked it; we loved that. Have also purchased the sausage and mushroom sauce at my regular grocery.

Can't wait to try some of those recipes! Thanks, Mik....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I always wondered why a nice Indian family was making pasta sauce ... Wink

Big Grin

I know the feeling...when my mom was in the hospital after the GI doc perforated her colon during a colonoscopy, I was told that Dr Rao (the surgeon on call) would be stopping by soon to discuss her case.

Imagine my surprise when this guy showed up:

He was sooooo Eye-talian....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have, over the last year or so, only bought their pasta..

It is so good..too good, really.. Leaving

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I almost succumbed to buying a jar of Rao’s at the supermarket the other day. But it cost over $10.

I bought another local (Brooklyn) sauce called Michael’s of Brooklyn. Only $7. Hope it proves decent.

I don’t often use tomato/based sauces for pasta. I usually make a garlic-and-oil sauce, which also works well with added vegetables. But the occasional tomato sauce from a jar is so fast and easy.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Rao's sauces are great. I buy the marinara at Costco in the big jars.

Likewise.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the dissenting voice on this one. I bought two two-packs of the big jars at Costco. We weren't floored by the first one, and by the second, we agreed that nobody in the house likes it. It's VERY oily and leaves a sticky oily film on the roof of the mouth. And on the dishes. Trying to wash out the jar to recycle it was a major chore, as well, due to the amount of oil in it. We didn't care that much for the flavor. It's a bit better are more flavorful than the major brand jarred sauces like Ragu or Prego which are just plain and sweet. But the consensus was "no... just no". The two remaining jars will go to the food bank.

Sorry, Rao. Wouldn't do business again.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Rao's sauces are great. I buy the marinara at Costco in the big jars. They had the arrabiata for a short time a few years ago but never restocked it; we loved that. Have also purchased the sausage and mushroom sauce at my regular grocery.

Can't wait to try some of those recipes! Thanks, Mik....

Happened to be in Wallyworld today to get a cat carrier so I got some Rao's Arrabiata. 32 oz jar for I think $7 and change.

Interestingly enough, some of their prices are considerably higher that Kroger and Meijer. Like eggs and milk were a buck higher each.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
There’s a little old Italian shop, Raffetto’s, in Greenwich Village where they cut fresh hand-made noodles to order for you. They also have a case full of their own sauces, and their marinara was pretty much the best I’ve had.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post