Find
Notify
Tools

TeaTime
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Years ago I drank a lot of Celestial Seasonings SleepyTime and Red Zinger tea as caffeine was starting to bother me. I stopped drinking it years ago - not sure why.

I found an unopened box of Chamomile in the pantry and gave it a try at my traditional cocktail hour. It’s delicious, and I may try to make it a routine. I know it’s not real tea but I don’t need caffeine before bed.

I know RP knows a lot about tea, and I think some of you drink it as well. What are your thoughts on Chamomile as far as health benefits? Has to be better than martinis, right? Some of the claims sound sketchy but it does seem calming. If it’s half as good for arthritis as claimed that would good as well.

Other teas to try?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
If you liked Red Zinger, you might enjoy hibiscus.

There are studies that seem to indicate that hibiscus tea helps reduce blood pressure. I buy it from Amazon in one pound bags and weigh out 2.25g, pour boiling water over it, and let it steep for 15 minutes. I add a tiny bit of honey, as hibiscus is pretty tart.

I don't usually drink cold beverages, but it's good iced in the summer.

The tea I buy:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A regular kitchen scale isn't usually accurate for really small amounts like a couple of grams. The scale I use for weighing dog herbs and supplement, and my hibiscus:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And while we're at it.....I prefer using loose tea rather than pre-packaged tea bags. I use this basket for brewing any tea:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...n_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Oh, and you didn't ask, but if you're looking for ways to lower blood pressure, do some research on isometric handgrip exercises.

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think chamomile is good for relaxation and probably promotes good sleep.

Vervain (verveine) and linden (lime flower) are other relaxing teas.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I always recommend oolong tea, but that has caffeine in it. But it's really good especially cold brewed and served cold in the summer.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18576 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I have decaf green tea from the Paul Newman label.
I like Hibiscus/Ginger from the Tao of Tea, but is it can make me sluggish (OK more sluggish).
Black Dragon Oolong from Tao of Tea seems to have more theobromine and can be relaxing. YMMV
I also like Nigiri Blue from Tao of Tea

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25714 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My cuppa in the morning is Stash double bergamot Earl Grey. For a little nudge, Stash Moroccan Mint which has green tea.

For a non-caf, nine months of the year, I pick a few leaves off the mint plant be the front door and steep them in hot water. Otherwise, peppermint tea.

I’m allergic to chamomile, so that’s out.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Oh, and you didn't ask, but if you're looking for ways to lower blood pressure, do some research on isometric handgrip exercises.

Big Grin

Interesting stuff! Easy enough to do, too.

Probably time to start paying attention to such things. (Sigh)

Thanks!

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

Big Grin

I remember when you posted about that several years ago, I bought one of those things.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Do you do the exercises? If yes, do they help?

Bazootiehead-in-training

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I used to drink a Mighty Leaf Tropical Green Tea - but now mostly drink a variety of sencha teas w/o flavoring. There's a tea shop near us - and they do a nice raspberry rooibos that is delightful once in a while. While I primarily use loose tea, I do keep some Costco green tea bags around.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Update in the Chamomile - this crazy stuff seems to work! I haven’t had to use painkillers for several weeks. It might be a placebo thing but I don’t care.

Yahoo! ThumbsUp

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Update in the Chamomile - this crazy stuff seems to work! I haven’t had to use painkillers for several weeks. It might be a placebo thing but I don’t care.

Yahoo! ThumbsUp

Excellent! ThumbsUp

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post