well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Picture Wall
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picture Wall
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
A few weeks back Sharon tried to kick aside an ottoman. The ottoman did not move, she fell, broke her wrist and fractured her eye socket when she struck her head on the second ottoman. Part of her fall had to do with the fact she needs a new hip and is finally scheduled to have the surgery this Thursday. Yikes!

Wrist surgery went fine and eye is healed now but she still has some pain. Hip is giving her the most trouble and I'll be glad when the surgery is done. This will be her second hip surgery so she knows what to expect.

Downtime, then, and she decided to take on a project she has been thinking about for a long time. We put up grasscloth behind the TV a few months ago but the room still looked a bit sterile. The fact the TV is too large for the room doesn't help (long story).

Artwork then, and I had expected to see a picture or two on either side of the TV but Sharon had a much larger idea - a wall of pictures. I wasn't sold on the idea but she really wanted it and I backed off.

She spent days and days corralling pictures we already have and buying new pictures she likes. She laid them out on graph paper very meticulously - like to 1/8" For test purposes she cut out the shape of each one on Christmas wrapping paper and thoughtfully marked each cutout with the location of the mounting hardware. I installed them yesterday.

Here are the cutouts on the wall:

And the (almost) finished product:

There are two more pictures to go over the TV and I'll hang them when I can find someone to help me move the sideboard out of the way.

I really like it, as it turns out. It looks especially good at night when I dim the spotlights. I wasn't sure about tucking pictures behind the TV but apparently it's a thing on the internet and I think it looks OK.

Now to fiddle with the grouping on the sideboard and get rid of the extension cord.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
That looks great. Well done.
My late friend Don could do that very well. He did a wall in the house where I lived in Moab and in my place Colorado.
The tv is never too large and we never sit close enough.
Of course, I liked drive-in movies.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I like what she achieved along with your help.

I'm sorry to hear of her injuries, but glad she is recovering. I hope the hip surgery goes well and the recuperation time is short.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7397 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about Sharon’s fall. Glad her hip surgery is soon, hope her recovery is swift!
Nice that you were able to get the wall of pictures completed!
I’ve got 3 more weeks until my appointment with the spinal person, pain goes from horrible to somewhat manageable, and I never know what each day will bring. I’m losing my mind!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20433 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few weeks back Sharon tried to kick aside an ottoman. The ottoman did not move, she fell, broke her wrist and fractured her eye socket when she struck her head on the second ottoman. Part of her fall had to do with the fact she needs a new hip and is finally scheduled to have the surgery this Thursday.

Oh dear! I'm so sorry to hear about her fall, that must have been so distressing!! But glad to hear she's on the mend, and best wishes for a successful hip surgery!!

I love your wall, the grasscloth looks great and the photos are wonderful!

And it's inspirational! Maybe when we move we can do something like that. Right now all our framed prints are still in boxes.
-_-

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18393 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry to hear about Sharon's troubles!

I love the picture wall.

I enjoy creating those, but Quirt is not a fan, so our walls will be more restrained in the new house.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15507 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Oh, man. Sorry to hear about Sharon's tumble.

I have pictures on walls, but no picture wall. Am totally hopeless when it comes to design and arrangement of stuff. I should hire you guys.

Best of luck to Sharon with her hip replacement. She'll be joining Mr wtg in the double hip replacement gang!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37851 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear about Sharon.

I hope she has a quick recovery.

Nice collaboration! ThumbsUp

Posts: 24687 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the fall!

The picture wall looks great. But yeah, the TV is too big.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13541 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don't quite understand the TV-overlapping-pictures thing, but I haven't been following design trends. I do like the picture walls.

Sorry about Sharon's fall. Hope she recovers well and soon!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13801 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about Sharon's injuries. Hope she heals quickly.

Wall looks nice.

TV is too small. Big Grin

Posts: 13633 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:
a wall of pictures. I wasn't sold on the idea but she really wanted it and I backed off.

All we have are walls of pictures. ;-) Looks great! Sorry about your wife's injury, but clearly, there's some sunshine behind the cloud.

Pinterest has a fair amount of examples as well. Lots of ways of finding art for walls.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I thought about your walls as I was hanging the pictures.

And Sharon has been on Pinterest for weeks. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
So sorry to hear about Sharon's injuries. Hope she heals quickly.

Wall looks nice.

TV is too small. Big Grin

Big Grin

Posts: 24687 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Good luck to Sharon! Surgery day is today, right?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37851 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post