well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It’s seven grandkids, Mr President
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s seven grandkids, Mr President
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Maureen Dowd opinion piece.

If there’s an argument on the other side of this, I’m not sure what it would be.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/0...ter-biden-child.html

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
If there’s an argument on the other side of this, I’m not sure what it would be.

I don't know what the argument on the other side would be either. But I've seen situations where it's not obvious why people inside the situation are doing what they're doing vis a vis family matters. It may look very different from the inside looking out.

At a minimum, I'm not sure why Dowd thought she needed to bring this to the forefront.

Shrug

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Ok, but surely the four year old would be innocent of any ‘family matters’.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I suspect the mother is a big issue. Trying to figure out how best to help the child without enabling the mother is often very difficult and touchy. A cold shoulder isn't the way to go, however.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Nor is refusing financial assistance. There are ways to ensure that money sent is spent on the daughter's upkeep, and ways to create funding specific for her education.
In my opinion only, there is an obligation to help raise a child. They're is no such obligation to bring the mom and child into the family. Tom Brady's case is exceptional, and it makes me wonder if there aren't other Bradys out there that weren't the offspring of a public relationship with a highly attractive and admirable mother that aren't welcomed into the family. Pure speculation on my part.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Ok, but surely the four year old would be innocent of any ‘family matters’.

Of course. Sadly they end up being part of collateral damage.

I'm probably colored by the situation I know of. The grandkids didn't get to know the grandparents, but I totally understood why my friends made that call and sympathized with them. It was a sad situation all around.

quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad

Yes, but I suspect the mother is a big issue. Trying to figure out how best to help the child without enabling the mother is often very difficult and touchy.

This was my surmise.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Nor is refusing financial assistance. There are ways to ensure that money sent is spent on the daughter's upkeep, and ways to create funding specific for her education.

I'm not super-familiar with the case... I thought Hunter was trying to dodge financial responsibility and if that's the case, his feet need to be held to the fire.

Is it known whether the senior Bidens did/did not contribute?

And again, what is Dowd's dog in this hunt?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Maybe she just thinks it’s unconscionable to so publicly reject a little girl?

Why should she not write about it?

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh wow. This is the first I’m reading about this. And I have to agree, it makes Biden look very and and pretty hypocritical.

quote:
And again, what is Dowd's dog in this hunt?

I am also curious about this point.

Why this story now? Am I missing something?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Deadlines....

Posts: 12550 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Hunter Biden has a low moral character. I can say this based on three scandals known to the public. I won't name them because anyone can follow the news. We should stop being reactionary in defending him and his father.

I don't mean "we" at WTF. I mean we Democrats. This is not a "safe" direction for the upcoming election.

BTW, Biden just cut Medicare and decided to send cluster bombs to Ukraine in contravention of US law.

My 2 cents.

Posts: 24739 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Deadlines....

This.

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why should she not write about it?

I didn’t mean to suggest she shouldn’t, I just wondered “why this now?”

In any case, it’s never too late to do the right thing. Let’s see if either Biden does.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It seems a strange small family issue for the opinion page of the New York Times. Does Maureen Dowd also have views she’d like to share on the opinion page about the various iterations of Aretha Franklin’s will and the way one version seems to treat her oldest child?

But it does generate eyeballs. Witness this thread.

Posts: 45757 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
But it does generate eyeballs. Witness this thread.

Yes

This is the sort of issue that good journalists didn't touch a generation or two ago. They didn't exploit these issues for many reasons, and sometimes the public interest might have been served by knowing more. Probably not in this case. These are complicated and nuanced issues that just become red meat for, well, the kind of people who write SHOCKING stuff for tabloids.