well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Pay to Play at the National Spelling Bee
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pay to Play at the National Spelling Bee
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Are the pay to play contestants equally capable? We don't know, but it doesn't matter. Expanding g the number of eligible contestants is not necessarily a good thing. The competition now takes a much longer time, and these are minors.

It's also not rewarding for those contestants. In the qualifying round, the only thing they risk if they miss a word is that their parents now have to pay.

If they are going to keep this foul system, then the regional winners should get a bye for the first few rounds. Let the rich kids slug it out. There should be a meaningful advantage for those who the right to be there.

For comparison, the US open tennis tournament has a nationwide tournament open to anyone, even me. It takes months. The winner gets a slot on the qualifying round at the open.

I think the entry fee is about $100. So if I wanted to get destroyed by an aging pro or promising junior in about 20 minutes, I could do that. I cannot, however, just show up and play the main draw because I paid $1500.

I'd rather just keep a "win to get in" system, but, if there has to be pay to play, your suggestion is better than allowing anyone to buy their way to the finals.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
To allow people to buy their way around mistakes in the regionals.

That's right. People with means can have a second chance that everyone else cannot.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Following on Cindy's idea, maybe the pay to play kids have their own tournament, and a few (1 or 2) emerge as victors. Those enter the primary spelling bee as wild card entrants. At that point, let the chips fall where they may. At least the pay-to-players have to earn a spot (kind of). Not ideal, but perhaps a reasonable compromise.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post