well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Have you been to the library lately?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you been to the library lately?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Have You Been to the Library Lately?
Librarians once worried about shushing patrons. Now they have to deal with mental health episodes, the homelessness crisis, and random violence

https://thewalrus.ca/future-of-libraries/

The Walrus website is new to me. Some kind of interesting stuff here.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My local branch closed during COVID and is now closed for construction until the fall. I have fallen out of the habit of going there. I think the last time I went there was to drop off my ballot (libraries are drop-off sites if you're lazy and didn't get it into the mailbox in time).

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm rarely in the library itself. Mostly I use the various services to access e-books, audiobooks, and videos. If I get a real book, I often just pick it up at the drive-thru. We have a separate makerspace facility with all kinds of neat stuff.

And it has something it calls a Library of Things:

https://www.ahml.info/library_of_things

Cool

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
As much as I like the concept of a public library, I just don’t have the need to actually visit one.

The last time I visited a public library was to attend a meeting of a local non-profit organization, one that otherwise has nothing to do with the library. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I used to go all the time before I bought a newer car. This one doesn't have a CD player so I don't listen to audiobooks as much...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I love the idea of a library of things, how cool!!

I’m at my uni library all the time, but I haven’t been to a community library in a long time.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I use my library card to read the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and New Yorker magazine for free.

I really only stop in the library if I’m out on a walk going past it, and I may stop in and read the local newspaper or maybe consumer reports. they have a meeting room where one of my ukulele groups used to meet, but it has not reopened since the pandemic.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I haven’t been *in* the library since pre-pandemic. My branch moved, and the new one isn’t convenient for me. But I do use the library all the time, to check out ebooks via Libby. I prefer ebooks to print books, unless it’s a knitting book with pictures. I like being able to adjust font size, and being able to carry a bunch of books in one small package.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The Library of Things includes a theremin.

https://www.ahml.info/catalog/record/3000554

Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve been in libraries more in the last year than I ever have because of the terrific play areas they have for my grandson. There are 3 in our local area and they each have large rooms full of educational toys, games, and instruments for kids to play with.

They’re wonderful places, especially when it’s cold outside. Kids can check out not only books but also “activity backpacks” that have games and projects to play with at home.

Very clever, and very well done.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post