well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mid-tier hotels

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mid-tier hotels
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
What's your favorite mid-tier hotel?

Are there any mid-tier chain hotels that don't use those awful wall-unit AC/heaters that are so loud?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Ones that are built more recently usually have the quieter, thermostat controlled ones.

We like Marriott Courtyard, Hilton Garden Drury Inn, and newer Town Place Suites.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Drury Inn is good, only regional though. I've never had an awful experience at one.

I've had good luck at Hampton Inn.

My favorite is probably Stonebridge Suites.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
A-Loft, hands down.

Very modern, unusually efficient and convenient room layouts, very quiet.

Always my first choice.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I recently stayed at a Hyatt Place and the AC unit was so loud I could not sleep. t
The first night i turned it off, but that was too hot so the second night I wore ear plugs. That was uncomfortable so I didn’t sleep through the night.

I may just be too sensitive to noise. Frowner

I was wondering about Townplace Suites. Is it similar to Courtyard?

I’ve never heard of A-Loft, I’ll take a look.

Also, it’s been along time since I stayed in a Hilton-branded hotel. I’ll look at Drury too, I don’t think I’ve heard of that one either.

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
If there's a Drury Inn where you're headed, I second that recommendation. When I was going to AZ for a week or so at a crack I always ended up staying at a Drury Inn. They've been super-friendly, upgraded my room multiple times (I joined their club - free), they have popcorn available in the lobby all afternoon/evening and even a "free" happy hour with enough stuff that sometimes I could just skip dinner and make do with that. IIRC they had veggies/dip, little pizzas, chicken fingers, stuff like that. Nothing fancy at all but after a long day if you didn't want to also be dealing with dinner it worked. Caveat - it seemed like their drinks (maybe just beer/wine) were remarkably non-alcoholic. LOL.

Another benefit to their happy hour thing - they have a dining room (free breakfast as well), but they have no issue with you sitting down there with your laptop and working. I found that a much better option than getting room fever sitting in my hotel room for hours on end, and less guilt than going to a Starbucks or similar.

Edit: I don't recall their AC being an issue in terms of sound but I tend to like white noise while I sleep so it wouldn't have bothered me.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I recently stayed at a Hyatt Place and the AC unit was so loud I could not sleep. t
The first night i turned it off, but that was too hot so the second night I wore ear plugs. That was uncomfortable so I didn’t sleep through the night.

I may just be too sensitive to noise. Frowner

I was wondering about Townplace Suites. Is it similar to Courtyard?

I’ve never heard of A-Loft, I’ll take a look.

Also, it’s been along time since I stayed in a Hilton-branded hotel. I’ll look at Drury too, I don’t think I’ve heard of that one either.

Only in that they are both Marriott properties, which is where we usually stay since I'm lifetime Platinum. They are often a one bedroom suite for a very reasonable price. The newer ones (2016 and after) are nicer and more modern than older ones.

But as I said, the key to what you want is to find a newer hotel. Call and ask them.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the key to what you want is to find a newer hotel. Call and ask them.

Will try this!

Ugh, I hate traveling. suave

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
If you want to say where you are headed I suspect you could get a great recommendation.