well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Fruit Gnats

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fruit Gnats
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
We went out of town over Labor Day Weekend and when we returned we found that the bananas we left on the counter had become home to fruit gnats - thousands of them. Eeker

The internet offered up several ways to get rid of them and we’ve been trying several of them. Open dishes with either wine or vinegar and a bit of dish soap, the same dishes covered in plastic wrap with holes poked in it, open wine bottles with either wine or vinegar in them.

The verdict is in! By far the most successful trap is the open wine bottle with wine in it. They’re not all gone yet but we’re getting close.

Any other suggestions on how to get rid of the stragglers?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35004 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Try a different vintage.

If that fails, maybe a different grape.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38014 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Sweet wine.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13586 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to these guys ...

The Secret Lives of Fruit Flies!

They call the room where they keep their drosophila "The Flybrary." Big Grin

Posts: 12574 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
These are tiny gnats, not flies. They’re almost all gone - besotted and drowned.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35004 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I've always heard a combination of something sweet (even sugar water will do) and dish soap.

Alternatively, I had some flying things (nowhere near that many) in a bathroom after we were away a few days. A flea bomb eradicated them.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We get an occasional fruit gnat in the kitchen and I've had fungus gnats around some houseplants in the basement. I've used stuff like this to deal with plant gnats, but I'm sure it would catch fruit gnats as well:

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38014 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I've always heard a combination of something sweet (even sugar water will do) and dish soap.

Alternatively, I had some flying things (nowhere near that many) in a bathroom after we were away a few days. A flea bomb eradicated them.

Probably drain flies. Kind of triangular with big wings for their tiny size. If you have a handheld shower, flush out the drain with it at full heat every now and then.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Gnats around houseplants! I usually have one or two in my office, where I have some succulents. We only have one other indoor plant, and it doesn't seem to attract them.

I drink sugary drinks and eat in my office all the time, and they don't seem attracted to them. This seemed weird for fruit flies, which we occasionally get in the kitchen and which are obviously attracted to fruit and foods with sugars in them.

I think you've solved my problem, wtg. Thank you!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15522 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
My daughter moved her houseplants from NC to Nevada successfully but brought with them a few bugs. She bought a Zevo, which does a remarkably good job of eliminating them. You just plug it in and the blue light attracts them to a sticky place.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I use the wine thing and then suck the ones that haven’t drown up in the hand vacuum.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20484 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Regarding houseplant flies, you get them through overwatering. The easiest cure I've found is a bag of mosquito poison I bought at the local plant nursery.

You follow the instructions, which are to let the pellets soak in water for 30 minutes, then water the affected plants. It works well without harming the plant (but you have to remove the pellets and trash them before you water the plants).

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, and for fruit flies, I like a bowl of something sweet, covered with plastic wrap with holes in it. It's kind of a fun experiment to watch, as the flies check in but they don't check out.

Posts: 19765 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post