well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Schubert Opus Numbers

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schubert Opus Numbers
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted
Generally speaking, identifying Schubert's music by opus number seems pretty confusing. And I have a question. What does "aus" before an opus number in Schubert's music mean? For example, "aus Op.50". I'm assuming it stands for Austria but I don't know what it means.

I have a book of Schubert Tänze (Dances) and included in the collection is "Valses sentimentales" (1825, aus Op. 50). After working on them a while I decided to have a listen online but all the recordings I found on Youtube are not the same as what's in my volume. The first 3 dances are the same but then the recordings veer off into music that's not in my book.

N.B. Mine is an Edition Peters and I was once warned against their publications by my piano teacher of ten years.

I'm wondering if there's anyway 'aus' could mean something like 'selections from'?

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
No idea.

Sorry.

It reminds me of my Audi, somehow. It was built in Germany (not all of them were) and it had a few parts saying-- "Made in Austria."

Good luck finding the answer.

Posts: 25196 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
No idea.

Sorry.

It reminds me of my Audi, somehow. It was built in Germany (not all of them were) and it had a few parts saying-- "Made in Austria."

Good luck finding the answer.

Thanks Daniel. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but when I do I'll post an update.

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be late to the party

Yes, "aus" suggests that this is an excerpt from Op 50. It translates as the preposition "from".

I have the Wiener Urtext Edition of the Schubert Waltzes. It looks like there are 34 Waltzes within Op 50. If it is in German and says "Samtliche", that means "all". Schubert's waltzes are all pretty short - and usually not technically demanding though I've only played a few.

Posts: 9616 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Op 50 #13 in A major is quite beautiful and a few people have recorded.

Posts: 9616 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
Sorry to be late to the party

Yes, "aus" suggests that this is an excerpt from Op 50. It translates as the preposition "from".

I have the Wiener Urtext Edition of the Schubert Waltzes. It looks like there are 34 Waltzes within Op 50. If it is in German and says "Samtliche", that means "all". Schubert's waltzes are all pretty short - and usually not technically demanding though I've only played a few.

Ah, thanks, kluurs. Mystery solved.

"Schubert's waltzes are all pretty short..." I'll say. If one takes the repeat once, a dancing couple isn't going to make it far around the dance floor! But they are very pretty, very lyrical.