well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Douthat: Why Coronavirus is Winning

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Douthat: Why Coronavirus is Winning
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Money quote:

quote:
The progression I’ve described, though, in which all sides have embraced delusions or found something to value more than public health, does signal that there will be no further comprehensive attempt to fight the virus. Trump and conservatism won’t support it, the public health bureaucracy won’t be able to defend it, and we didn’t use the time the lockdowns bought to build the infrastructure to sustain a campaign of actual suppression.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...nion&pgtype=Homepage

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Exactly so. It's as if we've done nothing. All the progress made by the long period of self-isolation was completely thrown out the window. I don't see any of this changing until the entire US looks like New York did in April/May.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I just read that myself.

This in particular
quote:
there will be no further comprehensive attempt to fight the virus

came like a slap in the face, and then I thought, oh my god, that's exactly how it's happening.

I am frankly terrified of how things will unfold here in the fall, as my university seems determined to sacrifice all of its students and faculty to the delusion that we can have in-person classes.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18470 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
and yet ...

Estimating the COVID-19 Infection Rate: Anatomy of an Inference Problem

Excuse the passive voice right from the first sentence. Economists (and other scientists, to be fair) are addicted to passive voice.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
One problem with his "blame both sides equally" contention is that many of the anti-racism protests have seen lots of appropriately masked participants. I was at a rally this afternoon in Williamsburg where the crowd kept distanced and masked, for instance. On the other side, bare faces are the signal of political virtue.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Exactly so. It's as if we've done nothing. All the progress made by the long period of self-isolation was completely thrown out the window. I don't see any of this changing until the entire US looks like New York did in April/May.

I don’t think it was all for nothing. We were trying to flatten the curve so that health care could be ready, and we’ve done that.

I would love it if we could eradicate Covid-19 right NOW, but that wasn’t the short term goal. I do think we can still be smart about distancing and masks and hand washing. It’s not all or nothing.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Paywall, but I'll reply to quote. The US doesn't understand the concept of public health, and, there was never a coordinated response to the virus.

Posts: 24719 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post