well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Home Sweet Dome

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Sweet Dome
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Another from Zillow Gone Wild

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I actually like that more than I expected to. The interior is quite nice. But somehow the rooms seem a little cramped. With the color scheme and furnishings, a shiny black grand piano would go nicely but there’s not a good spot of one.

Also how do round rooms impact acoustics?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
A little too sterile but I like it!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The views are gorgeous and there are a lot of elements I like, but the spaces are fragmented and oddly shaped, and somehow it doesn't all hang together for me.

I wonder what Buckminster Fuller would have said....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the spaces are fragmented and oddly shaped

That's probably why I felt it seemed cramped.

It seems like it was designed with being "interesting" as the primary goal, and in that regard, I would say it succeeds. But I think living spaces should always have flow, usability/functionality, and comfort, as the top priority.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
My impression as I went through was that I would have been uncomfortable in the seating spaces due to the odd angles of the walls. But it sure had a lot of interesting architecture.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
I kinda liked it. Agree that it was probably designed with ostentatiousness in mind. I wonder if normal living and accoutrements would transform it?

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
it looks like it would be fun to live in from the photos. but when i looked at the floor plan i didn't care for how inefficiently the space is used.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Anyone familiar with Rudolf Steiner? He believed that right angles in living spaces inhibited creativity (or something). Also invented biodynamic farming and some other things. Still has followers.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
yup. steiner schools were in vogue at one time.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
yup. steiner schools were in vogue at one time.
Yes, current Walden schools …. Perhaps just a name change?

I have a friend whose disabled son grew up in a community in Connecticut founded on Steiner’s principles.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I like it too, but will be hard to change furniture because most pieces seems custom shaped and attached to the house. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
it looks like it would be fun to live in from the photos. but when i looked at the floor plan i didn't care for how inefficiently the space is used.

We looked at a house that had efficiency issues. Nice house, good location, great price, but oddly designed.

The bathrooms, for example, were large enough for roller skating but the family room was only large enough for a sofa and a table. The entrance hall was crazy big for the size of the house and there were odd little pass through rooms all over.

Living in that house would drive me crazy.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post