well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Protesters in Michigan
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Protesters in Michigan
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
White House coronavirus coordinator Deborah Birx said on "Fox News Sunday" that from a public health standpoint, it is "devastatingly worrisome" that protestors in Michigan and around the country are gathering in close quarters and not wearing masks while demonstrating against stay-at-home orders.

Why it matters: President Trump has tweeted support for the Michigan protestors, some of whom were armed and successfully entered the state's Capitol building last Thursday where lawmakers were voting on whether to extend a public health emergency.

Birx noted that these protestors could return home and transmit the coronavirus to family members who may be more vulnerable because of old age or underlying medical conditions.

"They will feel guilty for the rest of our lives," Birx said. "So we need to protect each other at the same time we're voicing our discontent."

https://www.axios.com/deborah-...77-d7176b0bde2e.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37975 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
"They will feel guilty for the rest of our lives," Birx said."

I don't think so. If they had conscience and empathy enough to feel guilty about killing grandma, they wouldn't be out there in the first place. These people don't connect those dots.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
and in nearby Illinois ...

The capital B with the smaller lower lobe is drawn directly from the metal sign that adorned Auschwitz. She knew exactly what she was doing.

You know, I'll be she even "has some Jewish friends."

This is the modern GOP. If "they" don't believe this, they don't have problems sleeping with people who do.

Posts: 12559 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Birx will get her head handed to her by her boss, or if she'll get her pink slip.

Posts: 12559 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We have some neighbors and now probably former friends who are going batshit crazy about JB Pritzker.

They are retired and in good financial shape. As far as impacts go, they are way low on the curve.

"We're bored" "You can't take a cart on the golf course " "Why only two people on a boat?"

My response was a remark about first world problems and the observation that if their golf game was all they have to worry about they should probably be pretty grateful.

I also suggested that he take up the ukelele if he was looking for something to do.

I've gone curmudgeon.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37975 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
and in nearby Illinois ...

The capital B with the smaller lower lobe is drawn directly from the metal sign that adorned Auschwitz. She knew exactly what she was doing.

You know, I'll be she even "has some Jewish friends."

This is the modern GOP. If "they" don't believe this, they don't have problems sleeping with people who do.

I am reminded of the Beatles' lyric in Revolution 'but if you go carryin' pictures of Chairman Mao, you ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow'.

I didn't leave the GOP. It left me.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13565 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also suggested that he take up the ukelele if he was looking for something to do.

ROTFLMAO

former friends, I'd say! Big Grin

You know, that's OK. If your world views differs that much ...

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
We have some neighbors and now probably former friends who are going batshit crazy about JB Pritzker.

They are retired and in good financial shape. As far as impacts go, they are way low on the curve.

"We're bored" "You can't take a cart on the golf course " "Why only two people on a boat?"

My response was a remark about first world problems and the observation that if their golf game was all they have to worry about they should probably be pretty grateful.

I've gone curmudgeon.
It is hard to believe this is the nation that fought Germany and defeated Japan in WWII. Wearing a mask to protect others is too large a sacrifice.

As I said on FB today, you also don't have a right to drive 120 down the road, and for the exact same reason you should wear a mask. There is no constitutional right to willfully put others at risk.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I did notice, however, that the anti-semitic woman was wearing a face mask, unlike almost everyone else in that crowd. I would have thought that breathing on people was an article of faith in that group.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I said on FB today, you also don't have a right to drive 120 down the road, and for the exact same reason you should wear a mask. There is no constitutional right to willfully put others at risk.

Yep.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is hard to believe this is the nation that defeated fought Germany and Japan in WWII. Wearing a mask to protect others is too large a sacrifice.

My family members were eternally grateful for what the Americans did for them in WWII.

My family went through very trying times for nearly 10 years. From 1940 to late 1944, they were in a country that was crisscrossed by the German and Russian armies a few times. My grandfather's sister was deported to Siberia. A few days after she was shipped out with her husband and children, the Germans marched in and occupied Lithuania. My mother's family found out that they had been on the NKVD list for deportation the following week. The German invasion saved them.

Eventually when Germany started to retreat and the Russians were on the way back in, my family fled with the clothes on their backs. My dad bicycled to Germany less than a day ahead of the Russian front. My mom and her family left in a horse drawn wagon.

After the war ended, they spent four years as displaced persons in refugee camps (in the US sector) before coming to make a new life in America.

While I didn't live through any of that, I've heard the stories and feel a deep sense of gratitude for what I have. Like you said, it's not much of a sacrifice to wear a mask to save lives.

I think I can handle it.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Idiots.

Posts: 24753 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
wtg, I sometimes wonder if some people paid any attention whatsoever in history class. Some of the vilest activities that previous generations have participated in seem to reveal themselves anew in our present times.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Saw a meme today for all the freedom fighters. Explain to me how wearing a gun is protection but wearing a mask is fear.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
wtg, I sometimes wonder if some people paid any attention whatsoever in history class. Some of the vilest activities that previous generations have participated in seem to reveal themselves anew in our present times.

Big Al

I think high school history classes (and civics) have gone the way of the dodo bird. I'm not exactly sure why, but my sister was a teacher, and her daughter is a teacher (middle school) and they think schools have gradually removed anything past the civil war because it was seen as too political--the principals were constantly hearing from parents about how the teachers were injecting bias into the courses.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post