well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    We are in that zone

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We are in that zone
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
The "central city" lockdown zone in Chicago.

Limited access in. (I'll find out how hard that is later today - I have to head out to the suburbs soon) No public transportation into the zone from outside. Lots of looting and mayhem Saturday night as we watched from above. Cars arriving, sometimes pulling U-hauls to smash and grab. The police swept our neighborhood around 11:30-midnight with large double busses to attempt to catch anyone still out that late after curfew started at 9.

Quiet yesterday and last night as looting moved elsewhere in the city and suburbs. We took a walk yesterday and were glad to see so many windows intact - looking online, it seemed everything was smashed.

We have a strong local community on Facebook and many took to the streets Sunday to help with the clean-up.

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7565 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Stay safe and good luck

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12704 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I was wondering how you guys are doing and hoping you are ok. So glad you checked in.

Stay safe!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38017 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My suburb was the site of rioting and looting last night. Initially, the news said that because the city imposed a 5:30 curfew, hooligans came into the suburb (affluent, center of high-tech) and broke into the mall. The police closed off a section of the downtown area 20 blocks long and 12 blocks wide. My house is about a mile from the cordon.

There were sirens and helicopters into the night. I thought I heard gunfire several blocks away in the direction of the main arterial, but I'm not sure. I sure as hell didn't get out of bed to go investigate.

My biggest concern is that the police in this clean, quiet suburb don't have experience handling this kind of stuff. Apparently, they called in the national guard and some people from other jurisdictions who may know better what they are doing.

And I-1 is blaming an "organization" that doesn't actually exist for the violence.

This could get a lot worse.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We're pretty far from the action here, and hopefully will remain so. My daughter's place is just outside of the zone, and so far they've had no issues either.

Last night's protests seemed to be far less violent, much more focussed on blm, which is a good thing. The prime area is focussed around our "justice center," (a series of courts, offices, etc.). At one point during all the protesting, a large number of people either sat down or took a knee. Police also took a knee.
Wow. What a difference. People started listening to the speakers, far less spontaneous eruptions and yelling.

Unfortunately, it didn't last. As the night progressed, a minority once again became violent, breaking windows, etc. But things seem to be settling down a bit. I hope. The initial response with everyone taking knees, etc. was encouraging.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ron, you and other WTFers have been on my mind. Glad you're doing ok and hopefully it stays that way

quote:
This could get a lot worse.

PJ, this is my fear. This exactly.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18614 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Stay safe and good luck

+1

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We are in NYC, but the most remote, least populous borough. There was a protest march yesterday that was quite peaceable, unlike Manhattan and Brooklyn. Police were sympathetic, I hear.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13834 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add there was another march Sunday evening that walked north from us on two streets. By all appearances, that one stayed peaceful. Large following of police as they went by.'

My guess is that the protesters are trying to separate themselves from the looters, who moved south and west during Sunday.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7565 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Getting out was easy this morning, but there are only a few pinchpoint access streets to get back in. I just had to state my address to be let through.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com