well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    University of the Arts closing after 150 years

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

University of the Arts closing after 150 years
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
https://www.usatoday.com/story...delphia/73936221007/

I'm familiar with this school because it's where Camille Paglia spent her career after getting her Ph.D. in literature from Yale.

She's said traditional schools wouldn't hire her because she was a scholar of what's now called queer studies and because she was adamantly opposed to postmodernism.

It seemed to me from her many descriptions of it as a very interesting place.

What a shame.

Posts: 25282 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Small colleges and liberal arts college closing (CBS)

Growing number of small colleges close amid finan…:
https://youtu.be/kHv9Te248y4

Those of you in the profession predicted this would happen.

Speaking for myself, I wish my alma mater had closed because its forth and current iteration is a betrayal of everyone from the original families who donated their estates, the UCC which guided its formation, all of the families and institutions whose philanthropy over the years accounted for fortunes, all of the professors, students, and graduates, to the principles upon which the College was founded.

Nevertheless, I can still by merchandise including stickers of various sizes with our four winds logo. I've never so much as put a sticker on a car window but now I think I will buy some and plaster them everywhere. My nostalgia remains even if the substantive quality of the actual place has evaporated like water spilled on hot pavement in summer.

Posts: 25282 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post