well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Road trip!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Road trip!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Stopped off at the memorial to the OKC bombing and I am glad we did. Beautiful and very moving:

Next stop St. Louis where we ended up in a hipster kind of place for St. Louis style ribs. Probably our least successful dinner - the ribs were OK but only that.

The restaurant is near George Washington University where Ron's dad went to law school. Big beautiful campus and it's hard to believe there are only 15,000 students.

Stopped in Casey, IN to see the world's largest everything. It's a ways off of the interstate but it's just the sort of kitsch I like. Here's the world's largest rocking chair:

And the world's largest pitchfork:

Which was next to this converted barn restaurant where I had the best vegetable soup ever:

I reproduced it when I got home and it's a definite keeper.

Next stop - Cleveland! We stayed at my house two nights and took in some sights. Ron, the Tucson guy, thought he was going to freeze to death.

This building used to be a bank and now it's a Heinen's grocery store downtown. The second floor has wine tasting machines in it and the last time we visited they had some pretty fancy wines on offer - like $1500 stuff. I'd never pay for a bottle but a taste at $35 seemed like an opportunity not to be missed and it turned out to be the most amazing stuff I have ever tasted.

Unfortunately, they've taken out most of the machines and the tastings they offered were very ordinary. Beautiful old building though, and the story is that the guy who painted the murals was Mark Twain's best friend.

On to Syracuse where we hit real weather. Cold and snowing much of the way.

The local specialty is "Chicken Riggies" and they hold competitions to decide which restaurant serves the best version. It's really just rigatoni in vodka sauce with extra spice, but it's very good and will be worked in to dinner rotation here at home. They also have a dish called "tomato oil" which more like a tomato sauce. Also very good.

I cant find the picture but it looks about like you'd expect it to look.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The final destination was Wellesley, MA where Greg has rented a house. The car and the whiskey collection were delivered safely but the salt we picked up in Syracuse made a real mess of the car. They salt the roads here too, but nothing like they do in Syracuse:

Our last dinner was at Legal Seafood on Boston Harbor. Very tasty and we got to hang out with my grandson, Rory.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Great pics and stories.

I believe you will find that George Washington University is in Washington DC. The one in St. Louis is Washington University... no George.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The woman we hired to replace me at the New-Fangled Flying Machine Co lives in Las Cruces. She is not a big fan of Mexican food, and especially hates green chili. What a waste.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Great pics and stories.

I believe you will find that George Washington University is in Washington DC. The one in St. Louis is Washington University... no George.

You're right!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Great pics and stories.

You're right!

aka Washoo

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25717 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Great pics and stories.

You're right!

aka Washoo
Not to be confused with Wazoo which is Washington State University.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the travelogue!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Great photos! That’s quite a trip!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18579 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post