well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I'm getting too old for this

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm getting too old for this
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We have one of those pullout faucets in the kitchen. About every five years we end up replacing the hose because it starts to leak up near the nozzle. While not technically difficult, replacing the hose involves crawling around on the floor and in the sink cabinet to make the necessary connections. My knees and back are not happy about this.

This, my friends, is why old people hire plumbers...WhoMe

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37987 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The air gap for my dishwasher leaks water on to the counter every time the dishwasher empties. There was I time I would have replaced it myself - now I just put the dishtowel around it.

I'll have it replaced the next time I need the plumber for something.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34986 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I've had a number of such leaky nozzles, but as technoklutzy as I am. I somehow managed to replace it only from the nozzle end never touching the hose. I thought that was the right (and only) way to do it.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Our problem is a leaky hose, not a leaky nozzle.

There's a crimped connection on the end of the hose that attaches to the nozzle. Over time it seems the crimped connection gets a little bit loose from pulling and twisting the nozzle and water starts seeping out of the connector. Eventually there's enough that it runs back down the hose and into the cabinet.

Here's the faucet.

https://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/...ut-1-75-gpm-04067000

When I went to look for a pic of the faucet, I couldn't believe it when I saw how much they cost. I think we bought ours from Costco for $125 in 2009. It replaced a 25 year old Moen that we couldn't get parts for anymore.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37987 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sounds like yours is good for a while, but if you decide to replace it look for one where the sprayer attaches to the spout magnetically.

We put one of those in in AZ and it’s much nicer than the weighted/friction fit one we have at home.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34986 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Steve speaks sooth. They are nice. We have had ours for probably 8 years with no problems, but I seldom pull it very far out.

I am glad someone besides me finds repair gyrations increasingly difficult.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13566 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I just replaced the valve in a toilet water closet. It works! Need to replace a sump pump in the basement and that will most like go to a plumber.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17689 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I just foolishly ordered a bidet attachment. Now I will have to skoochie down and install the damn thing.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13566 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Instead of repairing the faucet over and over again for the same old problem, maybe you should consider replacing it.

Like you, I have a kitchen faucet in which the faucet end can be pulled out from the fixed portion of the faucet and become a flexible high pressure sprayer. I don’t use the flexible sprayer because the flexible hose easily crimps by bending it and then the water stops.

I had a part time job in high school working in a restaurant. The faucets they had looked something like the one in the link. I don’t know the manufacturer’s name. It provides a better range of flexibility without hose crimping. It worked very well with never a problem.

https://www.google.com/shoppin...thK0KHRYXApIQ9pwGCAo

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I referenced a "crimped connection", but the hose works a charm; it never kinks.

The problem we have happens over time from use.
You can see the big chrome retaining nut that holds the hose on the faucet head.

The hose itself has a threaded metal connector that is crimped onto it; that's what the nut goes over to hold the hose tightly to the faucet head. You can just see a sliver of it above the retaining nut.

Over time (we're talking years of lots of daily use) the hose wiggles back and forth and loosens the crimped connection just a little bit and water starts to seep out of that connection. Eventually it's enough to drip down into the cabinet below the sink.

Thanks for the suggestion but we kinda like this faucet. We had maintenance issues with the Moen we had before this hansgrohe unit (the switch on the top of the faucet head to turn the spray on used to malfunction eventually and we used to have to replace the cartridge occasionally too).

I'm sure the restaurant faucet hoses wear out somewhere eventually, too, and have to be fixed.

Just like a car, things you use around the house need to be maintained. Nothing lasts forever.

edit: This is waaay TMI for the average reader....... ROTFLMAO

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is waaay TMI for the average reader.......

I just read the whole thing with great intensity.

Leaving

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18597 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post