well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I want a job as a bourbon researcher

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a job as a bourbon researcher
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Few beverages have as rich a heritage and as complicated a chemistry as bourbon whiskey, often called “America’s spirit.” Known for its deep amber hue and robust flavors, bourbon has captured the hearts of enthusiasts across the country.

But for a whiskey to be called a bourbon, it has to adhere to very specific rules. For one, it needs to be made in the U.S. or a U.S. territory – although almost all is made in Kentucky. The other rules have more to do with the steps to make it – how much corn is in the grain mixture, the aging process and the alcohol proof.

I’m a bourbon researcher and chemistry professor who teaches classes on fermentation, and I’m a bourbon connoisseur myself. The complex science behind this aromatic beverage reveals why there are so many distinct bourbons, despite the strict rules around its manufacture.

And gotta love this:

quote:
Michael W. Crowder
Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Miami University

Disclosure statement
Michael W. Crowder received funding from Sazerac Corp., as pass through funds from MindXAI, to characterize the chemical composition of bourbons that were part of the Single Oak Project using NMR spectroscopy. Michael is a Faculty Fellow at the James B. Beam Institute and a Certified Executive Bourbon Steward from the Stave and Thief Society.

https://theconversation.com/th...placement=newsletter

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37976 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
There could be worse jobs.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13565 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Nice work if you can get it. Yes

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
At this point I don’t want any sort of job, although I might consult as a taster.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34980 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Mrs pj asked me to pick up “a small bottle of decent bourbon” for a recipe she was making. I picked up a 375 of Gentleman Jack. I figured I would eventually drink whatever she didn’t use and I find Gentleman Jack an agreeable hooch.

When I got home, Mrs pj inspected the bottle and said that she specifically said “Bourbon”. I never really noticed that Jack doesn’t say “Bourbon” on the label, it says “Tennessee whiskey”. I think regular black label JD says “Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey” (what my dad always called “corn squeezins”).

I gave her a rundown on the differences among various whiskeys including Scotch, Irish, American, Bourbon, Canadian, Japanese, Rye, and so forth.

In my younger days, I could differentiate between Kentucky and Tennessee whiskeys by taste.

It turned out she read the recipe wrong and only needed a couple tablespoons, not one cup. (Yeah, a cup of bourbon is a lot for a pan of bread pudding.)

Now, on the rare occasions I do drink, I drink Scotch.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post