well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Whew, resolved! — New floor is in! Almost perfect, but...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whew, resolved! — New floor is in! Almost perfect, but...
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG
quote:
His proposal is the way to go and will work great.

And
quote:
I think the proposed solution will look great!

Good! You two have been my advisors through this whole thing, and you've both always been right, so this is good! Smiler

WTG
quote:
They just have to be careful that whatever they do with that funky piece of stained pine results in a subfloor that that's stable and the same height as the family room subfloor so that the new flooring just runs up to the oak floor smoothly, and the slight step up from old flooring to new is covered by the transition strip/threshold.

The other thing that does is hide the fact that the jamb is undercut for a thicker floor, one that was closer in height to your new floor than the old one. You can see how much of a gap there is between the pine strip and the bottom of the jamb. Where your new floor and transition strip are, the floor is higher and the undercut jamb looks better. By running the new floor all the way through the doorway, I think it will look better.

Yes to both of those points. I was looking at that jamb spot. If the rest of it gets fixed and there's still a cavity there (there's a much narrower cavity there where the new transition strip is) Mr. SK could fix that so it's not noticeable. But I need to kind of keep track of it.

The height thing is the other issue, I'll be sure to ask about it before they get started.

quote:
Everyone can make a mistake/error in judgment, but if they're willing to make it right, that's what is important.

Exactly! And it seems they are going to do that. I might "complain" (in the loose sense of the word) after it's all done, mainly just to say "this shouldn't have happened like this, you should have discussed it with me first." And also they should have left the leftover transition strip and I think they maybe pulled up an older transition strip as well. When I talked to the supervisor (not the guys who did the work, their boss) he asked what materials were left and none of the important pieces were left. (There's flooring left and they should be able to use the currently installed transition, so it should be ok). But those are two big mistakes that shouldn't be repeated. Nobody who's paying for a purdy new floor wants a spot left like that.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
There is a very fussy, very perfect, and - dare say? - very Japanese way to fix the undercut.

Finish the floor and if the undercut still bothers you I’ll tell you how to fix it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Whew.

Posts: 18567 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW — looking at this, I totally get why the “rule” is for the transition floors to meet halfway in the threshold. But since that wasn’t an option here, this is definitely the next best thing. And I don’t think anyone will notice or care about this, whereas that bath gap would have bugged me constantly.
Whew.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Very nice! That was a quick fix by the contractor.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That looks so much better!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
BTW — looking at this, I totally get why the “rule” is for the transition floors to meet halfway in the threshold. But since that wasn’t an option here, this is definitely the next best thing. And I don’t think anyone will notice or care about this, whereas that bath gap would have bugged me constantly.
Whew.

Not centering the transition is really only noticeable if there is a door and the floor from the other room can be seen when the door is closed.

I think the installation looks just right.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
SUCH an improvement!

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks y'all!! I am so relieved! And yes, it looks great!! I love the new flooring!!

Steve,
quote:
Not centering the transition is really only noticeable if there is a door and the floor from the other room can be seen when the door is closed.

Ahhh! That makes a lot of sense!! And it would look pretty bad to have a two-inch strip of mismatched flooring sticking out fro underneath a doorway!

And yes, it's not an issue here. If there ever was a door in this doorway, it's long gone... I'm thinking there's not even a spot where a door knob was...

WTG,
quote:
That was a quick fix by the contractor.

Yep, I think they really made an effort to get it done quickly.

Yay, now I can go back to freaking out focusing on getting ready to actually move!