well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My car shopping question
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My car shopping question
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
So I'm likely to buy a car in the coming months.

My question isn't about specific cars, its about features.

Last purchase (2013) I intentionally looked for a basic car with few features you wouldn't also find on a car from the late 90s. In other words, I had no interest in heated seats, keyless entry, infotainment, navigation systems, etc. etc. etc.

Part of that was I was still a city boy, cars were something I used infrequently and cared about not at all.

Fast forward 7 years, I've become more set in suburban life with cars being part of that. I can imagine some features being very useful (backup camera, for example). Others I can imagine being really nice to have (heated seats).

So here's my specific question:

What features or options do your more recent cars have that you really like and would ensure your next car had?

Also, what features does your car have that you wouldn't insist on (and pay extra for) in the next one?

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
If I lived where you do, I would definitely want heated seats. My mother's car has them and they are awesome.

Also, the back-up camera is great (we actually have that, but some higher-end cars don't).

I think your car also needs multiple usb ports for the boy!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
NOTE: I posted this here accidentally (I meant to post in my thread) and I moved the post where I mentioned Avalon. But I'll leave this post here since I'm guessing CR will relevant to Jon.

One last comment and then I'll stop spamming...

So, maybe I should renew my Consumer Reports subscription? As I recall, when we first moved, I used that a lot for various purchases.

Does anyone have another good info source they would recommend?

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I may be the wrong person to answer this since my current car is a 2006.

I have no idea what is considered "standard" now.

I thought back-up cameras were standard or mandated from some year and on. When I've had a rental with one, I did find it handy, especially at night in unfamiliar territory.

Another vote for heated seats, especially as far north as you are.

Navigation? No. Use your phone. I think most cars now can divert the audio from your phone to the car (I don't particularly like this "feature" for navigation, but for music, yeah).

I will never own another car without cruise control. You get better mileage on trips and you can set it for 5 MPH over the speed limit in most places and not worry about a ticket. If you are paranoid, set it at the speed limit. I've also driven a newer Subaru with adaptive cruise control and lane-departure protection. We had a thread about that recently. It actually steers the car back into the lane if you start to drift out. I'd go for that.

You might consider not getting keyless everything if you can opt out. I've read a few articles that they are remarkably easy to hack with a phone and some USB-connected gizmo. Tesla uses a different technology from others, but theirs appears to be similarly easy to hack.

One feature my Mercedes had that the Subie does not is seat position memory. If you and other drivers are significantly different sizes, this is very handy. Mrs pj rarely drives my car, but when she does, I need a minute or two to put the seat and mirrors back where I want them.

Honestly, I would get the latest Consumer Reports Auto Issue (used to be every April). They usually had an annual update to what gizmos are worth having and which are gimmicks that aren't worth the price or create more anxiety than safety.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm cheap and I make do with the minimum. I also drive very little so some of the creature comforts just don't really appeal to me because I'm not in the car for long..that said....

I love the heated seats in the Subaru. They're great if your back is feeling a little out of sorts. And, of course, during the winter.

The Outback has a backup camera but old habits die hard and I find myself always turning around to look behind me anyway.

The Outback also came standard with driver assist technology. It's kind of nice when it alerts you to a car in your blind spot or if you've drifted out of your lane. Or if someone is coming down the aisle as you're backing out of a parking spot. Brakes if someone ahead of you slams on theirs. We figured at our age a little extra help wouldn't hurt...

I am almost always driving where I know the roads, so a navigation system isn't a must for me. If I'm going somewhere new, I check Google Maps. But I can see why most normal people would want something, but I don't know why you would just use your phone.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh no!!!
I'm sorry, I posted all these comments in Jon's thread, I meant to post them in mine! That was a complete accident....

ETA: Maybe I'll move them?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
If I ever replace my Toyota it will be to get something with the blind spot/lane change thing in the outside mirrors.

Sharon’s van has them and they’re game changers, especially at night.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Seat warmers (aka butt warmers) - worth every penny
Good sound system - if you drive a lot
Navagation - nope, "the google lady" works just fine
Cup holders - yes

Our Leaf had multiple cameras mounted looking down and giving you an aerial view of your car and the immediate surroundings. It was FANTASTIC for parking. I'd definitely look for that.

If you are getting a car with a hatch, something where you can open the back/hatch with a button or your key fob is great when you have a ton of stuff in your hands that you just want to load up. Not super necessary but a real nice to have.

Backup cameras I think are standard.

Continous variable windsheild wipers (not just a high-med-low clicks) - great for Portland type rain/mist

In my opinion, most cars are way too gizmo'd out, but these are things I really like having.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Lane assist can be either really useful or really annoying. However, blind spot detection is an absolute blessing.

You may not use it much until the pandemic is over, but my Accord has a feature where, if you have cruise control on, and you catch up to the car in front of you, it will slow down and match the speed of the vehicle in front. That makes cruise control about a hundred times more useful on long drives.

I also really like the feature that projects your speed (and the current speed limit!) onto your windshield, at the bottom. It doesn't impair vision at all but it makes it so much easier to see.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Backup camera, adaptive cruise control, blind spot detector, heated seats. I also like keyless entry/pushbutton start. My key never leaves my purse or pocket. I do put the key away in a Faraday box at home, so you can’t steal my car with one of those relay thingies.

The backup camera on my Subaru has a much better display than the one on our Camry, which is newer. Go figure.

Navigation isn’t necessary; phone navi is better and easier to use. Cars have apps to run your phone’s features.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9798 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I tend to err on the low-option side, on the theory that the car companies make their money on our magpie-like love for flash and gadgets. Also, I figure more options mean more to break.

However, I love my seat warmers because I am a displaced Floridian. I have happily paid extra for leather seats, because I am not a neat person and I hate the stained upholstery that this generates. The leather seats package in my current car came with an upgraded sound system that I like.

I'll get the "driver assist" stuff next time, because Quirt likes it so well, but there will be a learning curve. I don't really like all the extra sensory input, but I can see the value of it.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I hate the keyless crap - I've had issues where the car won't turn off when I want it to plus I always lose the keys because I leave them in my coat or purse and forget where they are because I don't have to physically touch them after parking.

Love heated seats, but in most cars they are only an option with leather and I hate leather more than I love heat.

Recently signed up for Sirius Satellite Radio in my Kia and really really LOVE that. I'll probably look for that to be a feature in any car I buy from here on out. Always thought satellite radio was unnecessary since I live in major market with tons of good radio stations, but I really love the selection on Sirius. They play songs I haven't heard in years....stuff I'd forgotten existed!

We recently inherited my father in laws car which had all the lane assist stuff -- HATED it. If you tried to cross the double yellow to pass a bicyclist or avoid a pothole, the car would not only beep loudly but actually physically steer you back. After fighting the car to avoid sideswiping a few cyclists, I turned that crap off so fast. No way would I ever buy a car with that.

Would love fog lights/better headlights -- especially as I get older and have more issues with night time vision. I'd shell out money for fog lights for sure.

Heated steering wheel - some cars have this now, and as someone with perpetually cold hands, I would shell out big money for this, LOL.

Backup cameras are awesome. Couldn't live without the one in the minivan now. My Kias don't have it, but they are tiny enough that I feel like I can see where my back end is easy enough. But minivans are so big and it's hard to get a sense of where your behind is....with my first minivan that did not have a backup camera, I backed into things all the time (thankfully no other cars or people, but curbs, bushes, poles....yeah). Leaving

Lots of USB/charging ports is nice. When we replaced my minivan, I almost went with Chrysler because the charging ports were so much better - every seat basically got their own ports. Instead I went with another honda but now I have wires draping all over the car from the one giant charge port splitter up front. That seems like a pretty simple thing for car engineers to get right and yet apparently few of them do.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Lisa, these comments are all super helpful!

I didn't realize lane assist could actually "take the wheel" so to speak. Do they all work that way?

What was the make/model of that car, Lisa?

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
It was a top of the line subaru outback -- 2015-ish I think. We have since sold it.

No clue if they all work that way. I think you could set it so it would beep but not steer you back, but I just turned it off....with the amount of potholes I have to swerve to avoid around here, it would be beeping constantly. I also didn't like that it had a lot of sensors in the bumpers to tell you if you were too close to hitting something, but they were almost too sensitive -- they'd go off just trying to pull into a parking space at Target or whatever because it decided the cars on either side of you were too close.

Sometimes technology just ends up being annoying.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those details, Lisa!

quote:
Sometimes technology just ends up being annoying.

Indeed! The question, then, if we buy a new car, is how much the technology has improved in the last few years. This is definitely something we will want to test out carefully.