well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    When every ketchup but one went extinct

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When every ketchup but one went extinct
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The main casualty of the catsup war was flavor.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/a...ory-of-heinz-ketchup

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Or you could shop in my neck of the woods, where in addition to Heinz you can also choose from 4 bespoke ketchups (what's with the 'katsup'??), all organic, 3 vegan because portland. Big Grin

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
When every ketchup but one went extinct

Survival of the fittest. Smiler

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Kraft/Heinz was recently bought out by 3G - a corporate raider out of Brazil who is busily stripping it for parts and burying it in debt.

We shall see.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Heinz Ketchup (at least the stuff sold in Canada) used to be made in Leamington, Ontario. The tomatoes were grown locally and it was produced and bottled within a tractor’s driving distance. No one bought anything but Heinz’s here. I don’t know if anyone even sold anything else. Heinz’s parent company made the decision to stop producing ketchup here. There was huge pushback - it was the life blood of the town where I went to Highschool. French’s said, “we will start making ketchup there, and take over all the contracts with local farmers”. In this area, I’m not even sure if you can get Heinz at the grocery stores. French’s Ketchup is all that’s advertised, and it is given prime grocery store real estate. I have never seen another big name product so completely replace another in such a short length of time. It was a pretty impressive display of the power of the dollar.

Here an older article about the whole thing: https://www.cbc.ca/news/busine...gton-sales-1.5102789

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4097 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Or you could shop in my neck of the woods, where in addition to Heinz you can also choose from 4 bespoke ketchups (what's with the 'katsup'??), all organic, 3 vegan because portland. Big Grin

I remember being told years ago that Heinz had copyrighted the word ketchup, but a quick google showed many brands that use the word on their labels. I think I remember other brands being labeled "catsup" when I was a kid. Am I making that up? Does anybody remember?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
quote:

I remember being told years ago that Heinz had copyrighted the word ketchup, but a quick google showed many brands that use the word on their labels. I think I remember other brands being labeled "catsup" when I was a kid. Am I making that up? Does anybody remember?

Yes, catsup and ketchup, and we bought the one that was ketchup. The other was WRONG.

The HVAC peeps just gave us a gift bag with treats, including Portland Ketchup and Portland mustard. And Seattle’s Best Coffee!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:

My daughter brought back some portland ketchup, and it was AMAZING.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Portland ketchup is worth every penny.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Modern ketchup is boring.

Bring back the exploding ketchup bottle! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post