well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ron Johnson

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ron Johnson
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wisc., forced the Senate to begin reading all 628 pages of President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID bill aloud on the Senate floor Thursday, further delaying a vote on the legislation Democrats hope to make law by next week.

Johnson said his tactic was about “educating” the American public on what was in the $1.9 trillion package, which he has derided as full of provisions unrelated to COVID relief. The entire process could take at least 10 hours.

He told reporters Thursday he felt badly for the Senate clerks who are going to “have to read it,” but it was “important” to delay the process and read the bill aloud because “so often we rush these massive bills” which few lawmakers have time to read.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said Johnson's move would "accomplish little more than a few sore throats for the Senate clerks who work very hard day in, day out to help the Senate function."

And Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., told reporters, "I'm not sitting here for reading the bill." His Republican colleague had "every right" to request the reading, but "I don't think it particularly moves the ball forward," Graham said, citing the later amendment process as a more productive use of time to showcase Republican disagreements with the legislation.

As the clerk began reading the bill afternoon, Johnson was the only senator in the chamber. He sat watching the clerk, his blue face mask resting on his desk.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...ll-aloud/4582579001/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Another idiot.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking he might have some trouble winning another election, even in the reddening land of Wisconsin. He pledged not to run again, and maybe he'll read the tea leaves and honor that pledge.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
What an asshole. Did he do this for the last stimulus bill? Gee, I wonder why?

******* cults.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
What a colossal waste of time. What does he gain?

I wonder if he’d notice if the clerk skipped a few lines here and there.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post