well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Happy New Year!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy New Year!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I'm pretty sure I'll be sound asleep as the New Year rings in, so I'll wish everyone all the best early!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
thank you. This is always a difficult time for me. Everyone out there is having a good time making resolutions, but as someone with no faults, I just can’t take part.

Ah the loneliness of being a perfect human.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It's nearly midnight -- - - somewhere!

Blessings

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Beethoven: Auld Lang Syne

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The family (+ neighbors) New Year’s party was a big success! The kids and grandkid spent the night rather than mess with drunks and wet roads which worked out well. We’re also hosting an extra doodle and the dogs have been wrestling on and off all morning.

The food spread last night looked like a Vegas buffet - the idea being snacks and small plates would be more fun than a fancy dinner - and it was! My contribution was a sous vide Chateaubriand roast served up in little bites along with a couple of sauces I made. Very popular although I think I’ll kick the temp up a bit next time. 135 was recommended for medium rare but it came out a bit rare for my taste. I finished it with the torch I got for Christmas which worked very well and wowed the kids!

Grandson Jack joined the countdown from various countries each hour but fell asleep before the ball dropped in New York. He woke up early this morning and has constructed a small city in the family room while we watch parades.

Not a bad way to start things off.

Happy New Year! Woot

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an excellent start to the new year, Steve.

We had a traditional Christmas-time get-together Saturday night with friends in our Marriage Encounter group. We share a meal with each couple contributing a dish and afterwards each couple reads a favorite holiday story, we sing songs around the piano, and finally end with desserts. We've been doing this for several decades now.

We used to get together with others on New Year's Eve, but many of those in that group are no longer among the living. Last night, I and my wife watched football until the game became very one-sided and then we went to sleep. Today, we woke to find snow on the ground.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7407 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What a nice tradition! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Steve, that sounds like a great gathering! I love that you didn't do the typical sit-down dinner. We used to spend New Year's Eve with family friends that I've known since childhood. We didn't do a traditional multi-course meal either, instead going the zakuski ("little bites") route. Think Russian tapas.

https://www.npr.org/2007/03/14...ghty-russian-morsels

One of the dishes our hostess used to make is a version of deviled eggs. From my friend's blog:

quote:
When my family hosted a New Year's Eve gathering, my Mom made "Stuffed Eggs." The eggs are unlike anything I've eaten in this country, and they have little in common with deviled eggs.

Here's how we make them. We hard boil eggs. After the eggs have cooled, we do not peel them. Instead, we use a sharp butcher knife to slice the eggshells in half diagonally. Some shells, naturally, get lost in the process, but that's okay. We need more "stuffing" than shells anyway.

Once the eggshells are halved, we remove the egg white and yolk and chop them up very finely: mince, mince, and mince. To the minced eggs, we add a bit of sour cream (but of course!), a touch of prepared mustard, a handful of chopped, fresh dill, salt, and pepper. We stuff this mixture back into the eggshells. The stuffing should not be mounded into the shell; it should be packed flush with the eggshell's cut edge. The eggs can be prepared ahead to this point and refrigerated.

Just before serving, dip the stuffed tops into melted butter and breadcrumbs (some people use crushed "Cheez-It Baked Snack Crackers," but we are old school and go with the breadcrumbs). Heat some butter and vegetable oil in a fry pan. Place the eggshells, breadcrumbed side down, in the fry pan and cook for a few minutes, until they are lightly browned.

Now that's a memory!

Absolutely love these and have made them a few times in the past, but cutting the eggshells is a PITA.

New Year's Eggs prep, 1962 The lady on the right is my Mom's best friend, and her assistant on the left is her mother-in-law.

We used to do steak tartare, too. On Lithuanian rye bread.

You wash all the goodies down with ice cold vodka served in crystal cordial glasses. You just put the whole bottle in the freezer and bring it out to serve people as necessary. Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
New Year's photos from around the world.

https://www.theguardian.com/wo...placement=newsletter

Bazootiehead-in-training