well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Poll: Santa Maria Aquamarine or Red Spinel?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Santa Maria Aquamarine or Red Spinel?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
Santa Maria Aquamarine--

https://youtube.com/shorts/XWXIjtBhszU?feature=share

Red Spinel--

https://youtube.com/shorts/bRKXMn_uha8?feature=share

Other--

Question:
Would you choose the --

Santa Maria Aquamarine --

Red Spinel --

Other --

Kenny said always put an ""Other" and I'm taking his advice.

My favorite gems are Santa Maria aquamarines, red spinels, citrines (a cousin of aquamarines), chrysoprase, tourmalines, and diamond (high clarity and low color).

It would be a hard choice if I had to choose one of these two-- but I would have to choose the aquamarine because it's my favorite gems.

Choices:
Santa Maria Aquamarine
Red Spinel
Other

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I feel it inadequate to choose simply the stone without also considering the setting, the skin tone, and perhaps also the rest of the attire ensemble and the expected lighting color theme of the venue.

Anymore contextual information you can share with this poll?

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Well, yes.

Please let me amend my question--

Which of these two jewels would you choose-- or any others that you could imagine?

I hope that this helps, Ax.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Feel free to send me either, Daniel. Though my personal preference is the acquamarine.

I'm also very partial to fire opals, since you asked. Feel free to send me any of those as well.

Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have a lovely aqua marine stone in a box...My ex bought it for me when he/we were into jewelry.

Now, it is not so much part of my life. I will probably sell it.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
https://www.cellinijewelers.co...xican-fire-opal-ring

Oscar Heyman fire opal ring.

I hope it doesn't get lost in the mail, Nina! Wink

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
As an object, I prefer the spinel and its beautiful diamonds, so I voted for it.

As a piece of jewelry that I might wear, the spinel's setting is a bit flashy for me. (And I do like flash, so that's saying something.) Since I don't attend high-end galas or premieres, I'd put it in a different setting if it were mine.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
If you see top quality ruby, blue sapphire, jadeite, then very little if anything will compare.
Diamonds complement the colours.
I'm also quite fond of mother of pearl.

I find aquamarines usually very pale, preferring tanzanite.

But this is jewellery, personal to you or whoever you're buying for. I'd never buy Rolex, my taste being IWC or Blancpain styles

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I sold my 34mm Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin with solid back. It's one of the few regrets I have in life.

I had an IWC Cal. 89 but I disassembled it. Lol.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I couldn't wear either of these rings and couldn't wear the Oscar Heyman fire opal ring.

I adhere to the modern conventions of what men and women 'can' do regarding clothes and jewels.

I wouldn't be comfortable breaking these conventions.

But that's just me.

If anyone does want to break them-- more power to them.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The red one, definitely.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Probably the aquamarine. Sentimental attachment.

My grandmother gave me hers when I turned 16. This ring made it from Lithuania to the United States, passing through World War II on the way.

This is my grandmother's other ring that made it from the old country. My mom had it until a few years before she passed away, when she gave it to me.

The family story is that it is alexandrite, quite a rare stone. Alexandrite has been mined in Russia for centuries, so it always seemed like a plausible story.

I had a garden variety jeweler look at it and it refracts like an alexandrite, but it could be synthetic. Even back in the early 20th century when my grandfather bought it for my grandmother they were doing synthetics.

I've been told by knowledgeable amateur gemologists that the color just isn't quite right for a natural alexandrite, and that the light area in the center diminishes its appeal. But everyone loves the overall cut and setting.

And an aquamarine my Mom got as a gift from a friend. It's half faceted, half cabochon, facets on the back. Mom wore it as an everyday ring and it has a ding or two on the top. It's a large stone and an odd setting.

Have to admit, I don't wear any of them; I would have to have them resized to fit my old pudgy fingers. And the alexandrite setting is damaged from my Mom putting it on and taking it off when it got too small for her. I really should have that ring evaluated by a gemologist to see what it really is. And have it resized and repaired.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The aquamarine ring from the old country is beautiful!

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
All three of those are very cool and very beautiful, wtg!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Those rings are beautiful, wtg!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post