well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cleveland

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleveland
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I had a chance to drive around downtown Cleveland today. I’ve been to a few destination sites but have never seen much of the place. It’s the most unusual city I have ever been in. Certainly not what I expected.

It’s clean - really clean. No trash anywhere, no weeds, no graffiti, no abandoned cars. Very few derilect buildings, nothing is boarded up. Streets are good, buildings are older but mostly well maintained. Columbus is that way too.

But, unlike downtown Columbus, downtown Cleveland is nearly devoid of people. Very few cars, fewer pedestrians. 4 lane boulevards with no cars for as far as you can see in either direction. Large empty parking lots. Decent parks with no one using them despite decent weather. Lots of little taverns and restaurants with no cars parked in front of them.

Kind of unnerving. Is this a Covid thing?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34973 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Sounds nice.
Bob's father checked into a hotel there years ago.
Accustomed to European hotels he put his shoes outside the room expecting them to be there and polished in the morning.
Of course they were stolen.

Don't miss the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
My eldest was recruited by Case Western. We visited in November for music auditions and to see the campus. It's in the far eastern side of the city, just beyond the Cleveland Clinic. I found it a very attractive campus, and a nice place to live. The Cleveland Institute of Music is right there too, and CW has a coordinated program with them. And Severance Hall is practically on campus!

Unfortunately for CW, the sleet was pouring out of a low grey sky the entire time we were there. Anthony decided to go to the "U" instead. Big Grin

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
All I know about Cleveland I learned from the film “American Splendor” (and the comic it is based on). A film worth knowing, Paul Giamatti’s breakout performance.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
"Cleveland rocks!"

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I had a chance to drive around downtown Cleveland today. I’ve been to a few destination sites but have never seen much of the place. It’s the most unusual city I have ever been in. Certainly not what I expected.

It’s clean - really clean. No trash anywhere, no weeds, no graffiti, no abandoned cars. Very few derilect buildings, nothing is boarded up. Streets are good, buildings are older but mostly well maintained. Columbus is that way too.

But, unlike downtown Columbus, downtown Cleveland is nearly devoid of people. Very few cars, fewer pedestrians. 4 lane boulevards with no cars for as far as you can see in either direction. Large empty parking lots. Decent parks with no one using them despite decent weather. Lots of little taverns and restaurants with no cars parked in front of them.

Kind of unnerving. Is this a Covid thing?

I suspect COVID has a lot to do with it, so many people who would normally be there working from home. Every time I've been there it's been pretty bustling.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
My eldest was recruited by Case Western. We visited in November for music auditions and to see the campus. It's in the far eastern side of the city, just beyond the Cleveland Clinic. I found it a very attractive campus, and a nice place to live. The Cleveland Institute of Music is right there too, and CW has a coordinated program with them. And Severance Hall is practically on campus!

Unfortunately for CW, the sleet was pouring out of a low grey sky the entire time we were there. Anthony decided to go to the "U" instead. Big Grin

I liked Case Western when we visited, and they had a terrific startup incubator. Unfortunately, the campus information session was entirely an inferiority complex. "Cleveland's not as bad as its reputation! Here's all the reasons why!" They sounded desperate.

After law school, I briefly considered smaller cities. Cleveland was nice, and was high on my list if I'd gone that route. I particularly remember Shaker Heights as being beautiful and very affordable. I ultimately decided Cleveland wasn't the place to be single and working all the time, though.

Posts: 45751 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post