well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    20 Inventions

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 Inventions
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
You might find it impossible to imagine a world without your smartphone, or have trouble remembering a time when Wi-Fi wasn’t everywhere, but many of today’s most relied-upon technologies would not have been possible—or even dreamed of—if it weren’t for the game-changing inventions that came before them. And while it’s easy to take many of the marvels of design and engineering we interact with on a daily basis for granted—think toilets, seat belts, and suspension bridges—it’s just as easy to overlook how a handful of more surprising inventions, like the Super Soaker or the pizza saver, have affected the world around us. From blood banks to barcodes and beyond, here are the stories behind 20 inventions that changed the world.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/ar...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
You might find it impossible to imagine a world without your smartphone, or have trouble remembering a time when Wi-Fi wasn’t everywhere, but many of today’s most relied-upon technologies would not have been possible—or even dreamed of—if it weren’t for the game-changing inventions that came before them. And while it’s easy to take many of the marvels of design and engineering we interact with on a daily basis for granted—think toilets, seat belts, and suspension bridges—it’s just as easy to overlook how a handful of more surprising inventions, like the Super Soaker or the pizza saver, have affected the world around us. From blood banks to barcodes and beyond, here are the stories behind 20 inventions that changed the world.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/ar...source=pocket-newtab

Great article!

I think future articles like this will include the LED lamp, the cell phone (really a pocket computer) and the solar panel.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I hope those of you who are so entertained, didn't miss the great Fart treatise reached by scrolling down past the coverage of the 20 most influential inventions of the last century or so...

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Was coming here to say "I thought there were only 15"

Leaving

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
I hope those of you who are so entertained, didn't miss the great Fart treatise reached by scrolling down past the coverage of the 20 most influential inventions of the last century or so...

Darn, did not get that.

I like aquariums Have haunted the shops. Went back to freshwater after leaving two large saltwater tanks in Utah because they don't move well and I already had a grand piano on the second floor.
Got rid of mine in June because new windows were coming and it had to be moved.
When I move again I want to be on a slab so I can add a much larger one.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post