Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
January 13, 1979

What it looked like outside:

What was happening inside:

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37924 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Happy anniversary!

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
is it too late for me to say “hubba hubba?” Happy anniversary!

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Happy Anniversary!!!! ♡♡♡

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18503 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Happy anniversary. Woot

Are there any interesting stories relating to that snowstorm? popcorn

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7409 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Mazel Tov! (Great looking couple.)

Hope you didn't lose too many guests to that storm!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Happy anniversary!!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Happy Anniversary!!!
Flower

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Happy anniversary!

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Happy Anniversary! ThumbsUp

Is that a Ford Maverick I see peeking through the snow?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34968 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all! Hard to believe it's been 44 years. The time has just flown by.

quote:
Originally posted by big al:

Are there any interesting stories relating to that snowstorm? popcorn

Big Al

Well, one guest and her boyfriend got stranded in the snow on the way home.... they had a baby nine months later. We didn't ask, they never told....

I was totally amazed that everything fell into place despite the insane amount of snow.

The whole day was a blur. It was an interesting drive in my lightweight Datsun B210, but I managed to get to the salon to have my hair done and to get back home in time for photos in our apartment with my bridesmaids and my parents.

The no-shows numbered about 20, mostly older folks who couldn't risk the trip. The other 90 invited guests braved the elements and arrived safely, though some missed the church and went straight to the reception.

The musicians (two vocalists, a harpsichordist/pianist, and trumpeter) all managed to get to the church. My bridesmaids helped push cars out of the snow at the church.

We weren't sure what we'd find at the restaurant, but enough staff managed to make it there to cook and serve the dinner. The bakery where we had ordered our cake is located in the city (Lutz's, for you Chicagoans), probably 20 miles from the reception in Morton Grove. The cake was there and on full display when Mr wtg and I got to the restaurant. Whew!

The limo driver couldn't quite make it to the front door of our apartment when he took us home. A couple of Northwestern students who were cross-country skiing down the street stopped and helped us carry our gifts and other stuff to our apartment. We gave them some of our wedding cake to take home; I remember them being pretty thrilled about that.

Mr wtg's parents lived about 25 miles away. They often had Sunday dinner at their house, and at the wedding on Saturday, we told them we'd be there for dinner the next day. Everybody laughed at the joke. Heh. Sunday morning we dug out our car and drove to their house, arriving just in time for dinner. Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37924 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Happy anniversary!
Wonderful picture, wonderful story!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Most weddings generate some stories and memories. I imagined there would be some extra stories related to that day in light of the snowstorm. Thanks for sharing them.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7409 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Happy anniversary!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post