well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Home projects! NOW W/ PHOTOS! sorry for shouting...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home projects! NOW W/ PHOTOS! sorry for shouting...
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I can sure relate. We had two trees growing out of our decks when we moved in. I guess that was trendy then. One tree is still standing because we completely redesigned and rebuilt the decks. Architecturally they were great, but in practice they were two small decks on two different levels. Yours is much better and is on the same level as the house floor. We did that too.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13587 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I knew someone in Palo Alto who bought a house that was built around a central open space with a huge oak tree growing there.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
on the same level as the house floor.

I hadn't thought about that, but good point. It does make things easier.

quote:
a house that was built around a central open space with a huge oak tree growing there.

I'm sure it's charming. If the courtyard is big enough, it wouldn't be a problem. But in the long run, and if the courtyard isn't very big, probably the roots will become an issue.

And as with our deck, depending on what else is in the courtyard, the tree could contribute to damage or wear/tear of surfaces as well.

The tree that was growing out of our deck was probably quite nice when it was a little smaller. And it did provide a lot of shade.

But we actually prefer it now because we can see the sky, and the rooms that face the deck (our family room and the dining room, where the patio door is) are both so much brighter. I hadn't thought of that before getting the tree removed, but now that I can see what a difference it makes, I love it!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18615 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
In Palo alto it was probably a Live Oak and those things spread very, very wide. Certainly a problem at some point, but I think they grow pretty slowly.

Yeah, having the deck the same level as the house floor makes living space feel much. much bigger.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13587 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It all looks great! I especially like the black gutters!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35009 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve!! We're really pleased! I figured the black gutters would at least not look too bad, but I sort of felt like it was a gamble but it turned out really well!

We are just super relieved to have some of these bigger projects finished!! And with (so far, knock on wood) no major problems. I tried not to think about how likely it was that one of those huge pieces of tree trunk would fall through the roof while they were taking it out... suave

Posts: 18615 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried not to think about how likely it was that one of those huge pieces of tree trunk would fall through the roof while they were taking it out

And that, by the way, is part of the reason it took a long time, since we researched companies, took a bunch of quotes, and waited on the most reputable one to be able to get here and do it.

Because I did not want just anyone to do the job! People find out that you have a tree you need removed, and they try to recommend just about anyone who has free time and a butter knife to do the job!! Roll Eyes

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That looks great! I love the black gutters and love the open feel of your back deck with the tree gone. That leaning tree would make me very, very nervous. I can see why you removed it.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thank you Nina!!

Yes, it looks a lot bigger now, doesn't it!

P.S. the deck stain is finished, stay tuned for pics....

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Deck finished! Kinda hard to take photos of it without walking on it, but here goes. Also, as I look at it, I think the new boards probably need a second coat...

We also did the picnic table in the same stain. It looks a lot redder (pinker) in the photos, but it's a nice warm brown color with just a hint of red, I promise! Also, it just makes me laugh to see this picnic table, because before it was pressure washed, I doubted that it was even wood!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What a nice deck! ThumbsUp

Growing up we had an Irish Setter who ate a picnic table just like yours.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35009 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

There is nothing better than an old fashion picnic table. They are a great example of simplicity that never goes out of style. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve and BeeLady, we are quite pleased!!

And I just confirmed with the door guy, assuming the weather holds, he'll come on Thursday.

Fingers crossed!!!

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
All great upgrades; I love the new roof and black gutters! A hint more definition, very nice.

The deck is fabulous. What a great space for entertaining or hanging out. Bonus on the increased light inside after removing the tree.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lovely!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38021 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post