well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Rusty Escaped

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rusty Escaped
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
We have two cats that we adopted last Halloween, Rusty and Cocoa.

They were previously indoor-outdoor cats, but since we have eagles, raccoons, and the occasional coyote in the neighborhood, I decided that they would be strictly indoors. Well, Rusty has never been too happy with that. He frequently pushes at the screen door trying to open it. Both of them spend a lot of time on the dining room windowsill, especially when the window is open. There is a birdbath right outside that window, and they like to talk to the birdies.

Rusty on Christmas Day

As you may have seen in the news, it's been hot here. Record-breaking hot. It's cooled down to almost normal since last weekend, still, I had the windows open and fans on overnight to get some cool air in the house.

I got up Tuesday morning about 6:45 and was going to listen in on a meeting at 7:00. I walked through the dining room on my way to the basement to get my headset and I noticed the screen didn't look right...

The scene of the crime

Cocoa was sitting on the windowsill. I looked out and Rusty was sitting on the ground below the window. It's about a six foot drop and there are some big, sharp rocks down there. Rusty is a big guy -- almost 16 pounds. Cocoa is half that.

I went out to the back of the house and when he saw me he started to walk along the back of the house toward the neighbor's. I went that way and he disappeared along the side of the house.

I went in to get a can of food... normally, popping the top of a can of food gets them running. I went back out the front and I thought I saw him walking along the rockery that separates my front yard from the neighbor's. I popped the food can open. Nothing. I kept pushing the lid back down and popping it up again. Nothing.

I did not see him jump down off the rockery, so I suspected he was still somewhere along there, but there are thick rosemary bushes along there. I went into the neighbor's yard to look from the other side. No kitty.

I went back out several times to watch for him. Still nothing.

I called all of the neighbors (except the one next door with whom we are not on speaking terms). They all said they'd keep an eye out.

I put an ad on craiglist. I got one reply, a scam... I'll post about that later.

I had to go out to Costco. I left some food and water on the front porch. DD said she'd look out periodically to see if he showed up.

After I got back, and still no sign of Rusty, I made a couple signs to tack up by the mailboxes across the street and on the utility pole on my corner. As I was walking back from that, I went back over to the bushes and noticed an orange blob with ears. He was in the hole under the junipers where the bunnies usually hang out. I went back in and got the can of food. I rattled the top. No response. I set the can on the ground about two feet from him. Nothing. I moved the can a foot toward him. Still nothing. I finally put it a few inches from his face... he sniffed and came toward it for a taste. I was able to pick him up and carry him inside.

Normally, Rusty is very squirmy when I try to carry him. I was surprised he didn't put up much of a fuss. I dropped him in the living room and went back out to get the can of food. If you are going to lure them with food, you'd best pay up.

He ate a glob of food, and Cocoa came over to help. Then Rusty hit the normal dry food. He was quite hungry. People say they will come in when they are hungry enough. I guess he wasn't hungry enough until he actually saw food.

The bribe

*sigh*

It was a very stressful day for all involved.

I put the screen back together, but I want to find some way to reinforce it... or maybe put some hardware cloth or chicken wire over the lower part of the window (very classy, huh?).

I never thought I needed to get indoor cats chipped, but I've changed my mind. We're going to get them both chipped (maybe just a shot of Bill Gates's covid vaccine).

He's pretty much back to normal after a day of hanging out under the dining room table.

*sigh*

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’m just happy the story ends well.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Also glad the story ended well.

In the dead of winter Gypsy got out and was not found until the next morning when I stepped out.
She dropped out of the truck. I suppose she had found some warmth from the engine.
There are foxes nearby and a mountain lion was sighted a mile away two years ago.
The only mountain lion I have seen in the area was in a gulch near my previous home which is about a mile and a half away.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Don't scare me like that.....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Glad he came back! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I’m sure he would say he doesn’t see what all the fuss is about. After all, he didn’t even leave our yard and didn’t get in any trouble. I’m guessing that since he was so hungry, he didn’t eat any birdies, mousies, bunnies, etc. He’d probably say that he was just leaning against the screen and it popped out… he didn’t push on it… he just fell. Not his fault!

I’m sure that’s what he’d say. But he’s not talking.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Glad he’s back and safe.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Glad that ended well! Nice pic of the screen of the crime…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Glad he is back!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
Glad that ended well! Nice pic of the screen of the crime…

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I’m just happy the story ends well.

+1

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post