well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Is this information current?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this information current?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
"We are prepared to offer booster shots for all Americans beginning the week of September 20 and starting 8 months after an individual’s second dose."

https://www.cdc.gov/media/rele...9-booster-shots.html

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That release didn't have specific information about who could get which boosters and when; they didn't have the full data to look at then. It only said they were prepared to go as early as September.

As far as I know, the link in this post reflects the current guidelines:

http://well-temperedforum.grou...513905697#9513905697

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, this is the most current CDC press release about boosters, recommendations and eligibility. Oct 21, 2021.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
As far as I know, this is the most current CDC press release about boosters, recommendations and eligibility. Oct 21, 2021.

Yep, it says Oct. 21st right on the release! Big Grin

I haven't yet heard of a pharmacy that would turn anyone away because they're not yet 65.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Those categories are quite broad, broader than the original vaccine guidelines.

Not just obese, but overweight. Current or former smokers.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ll wager that if you show up at a CVS they’ll give you the jab. Get a flu shot too - this year’s variant is pretty nasty. May as we’ll get a pneumonia shot while you’re at it. I’ve had pneumonia and you don’t want it. Trust me on this.

And tetanus too - it’s a lousy way to die. Four shots, two arms and two butt cheeks - it’s like nature intended! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I’ll wager that if you show up at a CVS they’ll give you the jab.

They make you certify that you're eligible, but really all you have to do is say that you're eligible, you don't have to prove it.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
When I went they never asked. I brought my card but no one looked at it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
So, with exceptions: 6 months.

And, you can have any of them for the booster.

What?

How do we decide?

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I got my booster earlier this week. Because I was a J&J first shot, I can get it with no restrictions.

However, CVS does not offer J&J boosters, only Pfizer and Moderna. I was not offered a choice, just what was offered that day, just like my original shot. They gave me the Moderna.

Felt a bit icky but in no way as bad as the first round side effects.

Feeling relieved... Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I’ll wager that if you show up at a CVS they’ll give you the jab. Get a flu shot too - this year’s variant is pretty nasty. May as we’ll get a pneumonia shot while you’re at it. I’ve had pneumonia and you don’t want it. Trust me on this.

And tetanus too - it’s a lousy way to die. Four shots, two arms and two butt cheeks - it’s like nature intended! ThumbsUp

I added pnemonia and tetanus to my list. Thanks!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There are two pneumonia vaccines. Normally they're recommended for people over 65, or for younger people who smoke.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/index.html

Pneumonia vaccine recommendations for physicians:

(edited: Am adding this chart, which is easier to follow than the text version):

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/v...o-vaccine-timing.pdf

Text version:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/v...recommendations.html

My doctor suggested I get both of the pneumonia vaccines, about a year apart. I'm 66. I'm only going to get the PPSV23 when I'm a bit older and will skip the PCV13 entirely.

Duration of immunity is 5 to 10 years. You never get a pneumonia booster. I think that's why the recommendation is to wait till a person is older.

Tetanus is once every 10 years and is given as a combo of tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis (whooping cough).

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
So, with exceptions: 6 months.

And, you can have any of them for the booster.

What?

How do we decide?

Of course they say talk to your doctor.

What I've read from multiple sources is that if you got an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) and had good results (no bad side effects), then it's reasonable to stick with the same one.

If you had the J&J you can boost with any of the three vaccines, but Pfizer gives you a better boost than J&J and the Moderna booster is even better than Pfizer.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
I got my booster earlier this week. Because I was a J&J first shot, I can get it with no restrictions.

However, CVS does not offer J&J boosters, only Pfizer and Moderna. I was not offered a choice, just what was offered that day, just like my original shot. They gave me the Moderna.

Felt a bit icky but in no way as bad as the first round side effects.

Feeling relieved... Yes

BeeLady, did they givve you a full dose Moderna shot as your J&J booster, or the half dose that they offer as a booster for previous Moderna recipients? Just curious how this works!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From the FDA:

quote:
A single booster dose of any of the available COVID-19 vaccines may be administered as a heterologous booster dose following completion of primary vaccination with a different available COVID-19 vaccine. The eligible population(s) and dosing interval for a heterologous booster dose are the same as those authorized for a booster dose of the vaccine used for primary vaccination.

For example, Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine recipients 18 years of age and older may receive a single booster dose of Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine, Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine (half dose) or Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine at least two months after receiving their Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine primary vaccination.

https://www.fda.gov/news-event...se-covid-19-vaccines

Bazootiehead-in-training