well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Studying literature with AI

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Studying literature with AI
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A single page of fiction can cover 1,000 years of in-story time; 1,000 pages of story can take place in an instant. That's a neat bit of magic, and it profoundly bothers the kind of people who study literature. Experts have spent years — decades, even — trying to gauge how fast most in-story clocks tick. They tediously counted the words in thousands of books; they laboriously hand-coded computer programs to measure the passage of fictional time. Yet for all their brute-force efforts, they couldn't agree on something as simple as how much time the average page of fiction covers.

So it was kind of cool when, last year, ChatGPT did it.

Given a well-designed prompt and a passage of fiction, ChatGPT could ingest the text and spit back a fast, precise estimate of how much time had elapsed in the passage. A chunk of "Jane Eyre"? About a week. A passage of the same length from "The Big Sleep"? Seventy-five minutes. Over the past few hundred years, the bot calculated, literary time has been slowing down. The average page of literature used to cover an entire day of time; now it barely gets through an hour.

The well-designed prompt came from Ted Underwood, an English and information sciences professor at the University of Illinois. In a world filled with AI skeptics and chatbot alarmists, Underwood is making one of the strongest and most compelling cases for the value of artificial intelligence. While some (me among them) fret that AI is a fabulizing, plagiarizing, bias-propagating ******** engine that threatens to bring about the end of civilization as we know it, Underwood is pretty sure that artificial intelligence will help us all think more deeply, and help scholars uncover exciting new truths about the grand sweep of human culture. Working with large language models — the software under a chatbot's hood — has made him that rarest of things in the humanities: an AI optimist.

https://www.businessinsider.co...h-bill-gates-2023-12

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm..well...not skeptical of the power of AI, but I'm skeptical of the newness of some of the things its proponents claim. The field of digital humanities has been around for ten or twenty years, at least, and they've been doing similar work to that described in this article for all that time. Maybe the programs they were using could be described as AI, or maybe the development between those programs and the ones we now consider AI is simply an incremental one that has received a huge amount of hype generated by the publicists of whoever owns ChatGPT. It's hard for me to judge.

There have been researchers using computers to look at authorship for many years. (Shakespeare is the big one, but there are others.) I feel pretty sure that the programs that have been doing such work for years could also do the particular project described here, if they thought the metric of story-time-per-page was important. I've read a cr*p-ton of literary criticism over the past five years while I was working on a PhD I don't think I've told y'all about (I should defend in late spring), and none of those writers have had anything to say about the passage of time per page.

Are there scholars who are deeply interested in this? Surely. But I'm not convinced that tools to look for it didn't already exist, nor am I convinced that somebody wasn't already doing this work, as it seems a straightforward application. The recent breathless hype over AI seems to claim that it's something all-new, when it seems more like an interface that makes it more convenient to ask computers questions that they could have been asked before, albeit in a way that might require a little more expertise of the asker.

In my own field, digital humanities scholars showed pretty conclusively years ago that Agatha Christie's later books show changes in the language used that suggest that she was developing dementia. That's interesting work that was better, quicker, and more easily done with a computer than sitting with her books for years and doing it by hand, but the program that did it was not called "AI." (Ay least I think it wasn't.) It was probably just some kind of fancy database of its time, which was in turn some kind of fancy concordance of its time.

As a writer and teacher, I'm very interested in the ways that writers handle time in their narratives. I learned years ago that it was possible to stop time with words when I wrote a scene in which bullets are flying but it takes (if I recall correctly) a couple of pages for them to land, because I spend a few paragraphs in each player's head as they decide how to respond to the crisis, and each of their decisions is based on the best interests of the person they love most. For one of those people, that person is herself.

If I were to work on the passage of time in narrative, I would choose some scenes like this one (only not one written by me) that handled time interestingly and consider it closely. If I used a tool like the Ai described here, I would use it as a comparison for the scenes I'd considered with an understanding of what the author was trying to do. Is this scene typical of their handling of time? Is it typical of fiction written by the author's contemporaries or is it something more rare or even unique?

Questions like those are interesting to me. Reporting the average number of hours per page over a large variety of books without considering what that means tells me nothing. And I really doubt that this is such a widely vexing problem to literary scholars that it justifies this article's thesis that it "profoundly bothers the kind of people who study literature."

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reporting the average number of hours per page over a large variety of books without considering what that means tells me nothing.

This is the crux of the matter, IMO, the heart of what is missing with AI. And, perhaps most importantly, the reason why I agree with those who say that the "i" of AI is a misnomer, because there's no "intelligence" on the part of the AI-tool being used.

The current AI tools available are not capable of considering what something means. Whether they ever will be is a different question.

But for now, AI is a tool and what really matters is how humans use it...

And from what I can tell, that's the stance of UIUC's Underwood as well.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post