well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Let’s talk about Scarlatti! (attn Jon...)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s talk about Scarlatti! (attn Jon...)
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
My piano teacher played a little bit of Scarlatti sonata K466 for me, it’s really lovely so I’m thinking I might try it.

Listening on YouTube with a video that shows the score, it doesn’t seem that difficult... So, how naive is that?

Also, if I were to buy only one book of Scarlatti sonatas, which would you recommend? (I know they’re on IMSLP but I like books)

Here’s the K466:

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I love this Alfred edition, well edited with fingering suggestions.

https://www.amazon.com/Scarlat...erwork/dp/0739022172

But Longo has fingering on most of the Sonatas and many editions used them so you might try to find any edition that has many sonatas that you like.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
What a great piece! Now I want to learn it.

Thank you SK!

jon, do you play this one? Is this a good starting point to start learning some Scarlati? If not, do you have any recommendations for a starting point? K466 seems achievable to me at my level. But then, so many pieces seem easy, but in reality, are difficult.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the book recommendation Jon, I may just get that and get K466 from IMSLP.

What is the name of the publisher of the books you used? I search for Scarlatti sonatas + Longo but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Mark, hopefully Jon can comment more on the level or a starting point (although if you haven't already, look at the Alfred's book that he linked, that does look like a good one).

But in terms of the level of K.466, my teacher suggested it because he thought it would be something I could play relatively easily, and given that AFAIK you have played a lot more Bach than I have, I would imagine this K.466 should be very do-able for you.

Let me know if you have trouble finding it on IMSLP. There are two versions there, both very readable. Just fyi, I thought the one that actually has the title, composer etc at the top looked like it was laid out better than the one that doesn't have any title or info at the top... So I'm going to poke around with it later this evening.

Smiler

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW Jon, what are you using for sightreading practice now?

I'm still reading through the Music for Millions book (Classic to Moderns, vol. 17). When I get through that I have two other volumes that I will move on to. Instead of doing true sightreading, I spend about a week on each piece (maybe 5-10 minutes a day?) So I don't play any of them long enough to memorize, but I do work on each piece enough to get the tempo up and be close to polishing it.

When I first started learning piano (as an adult for anyone who didn't know that), I turned my nose up at compositions like this (if you're not familiar with the Music for Millions book, they are mostly beginner to early intermediate classical pieces, starting at the level of the pieces in the Notebook for Anna Magdalena). I also would have had to spend a lot more time on them to be able to play them.

Now that I can literally read-play an entire piece on first sight, I find that I really enjoy sort of churning through these pieces. And I can tell my sightreading is better than it's ever been, which is its own motivation.

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I printed out the free version of K.466. The one with the composer's name and "Les Editions Outremontaises - 2013" at the bottom of each page. I see no fingering suggestions. I also ordered the Alfred book.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

We need to compare notes then! Smiler And re 466, that's the version I printed out as well!

Keyboard Jam

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I started with K32 the first year I was learning to play. It looks simple, but there are some interesting twists. To me, the holy grail was K517. It's supposed to be prestissimo and the Scarlatti jocks try to outdo each other in how fast they can play it AND throw in some flourishes. Andras Schiff does a decent job, but my fave is still Elaine Camparone (find her on yootoob -- she plays standing up!).

It has been said that Longo "corrected mistakes" he found in Scarlatti's manuscripts that later scholars decided were actually what Scarlatti meant to write. I think most of the editions out there today have Longo's "corrections" removed. And most scholars agree that Kirkpatrick's numbering more accurately groups the sonatas by theme and style.

The only book I have is published by Alfred (catalog number 666) "An Introduction to His Keyboard Works" which is a subset of a larger Alfred collection. It looks like the one Jon linked to is a different subset of the larger one. I found them well done with some fingering suggestions and other notes. Again, this was my first stab at Scarlatti as a beginning student. YMMV.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
K517

Eeker I'll pass on that one.

Paul Barton (the guy in the video I linked in the first post) plays 517 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_wl7mB7Dec

I found the book you mentioned, indeed, not the same set. Also different editor.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
It still sounds lovely at about half tempo which is about as fast as I ever managed to play it.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Oh, and K466 is one of my faves. Maybe I'll take a stab at it when I find my piano again.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
That tempo seemed fairly tame, though it is about ten seconds longer than Elaine's version (which also has a bit of dead time at the beginning and end)

Here is Elaine (with gratuitous trills just to show off... and one mistake that I've picked up on): https://youtu.be/71iUAFFQ8ik

When I was learning the piece, I used Audacity to slow Andras Schiff's recording down to half speed and listened to it about a thousand times.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Check out L.30 K. 82. It's one of my faves and it's just super fun to play. It's marked as presto but sounds very nice not at insane speeds. But it does fit into your hands well, so getting it to speed isn't too insane.

You can hear it here. I can get to near that speed (maybe at that speed) on a good day when all the stars align. That is to say, rarely. Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Gyaa!!!!

What a fun piece! But yeah, it's probably too hard for me. :P

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ok, so after that post, I put the K.466 aside to work on another piece I was struggling with, and I just came back to it today.

So, either I'm doing something wrong, or it's no where near as difficult as I thought. (I'm only playing the first half right now). In fact, it might be easier than a lot of pieces I've played recently.... Or maybe my reading efforts are paying off (I'm reading through one of those Music for Millions books, spending like a week on each piece).

Either way, I'm enjoying it.

Keyboard Jam