well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Greetings from Boston!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greetings from Boston!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
We’re here visiting our kids and our Ohio kids came too. Big fun!

Three observations:

* As a group, people in Boston are some 6” shorter than people in Cleveland.

* Pickup trucks are not popular, even in the ‘burbs.

* Fast food chain restaurants are not at all common.

Today we’re going to Martha’s Vineyard. I’m not sure what we’re going to do there.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cool! We visited Boston for the first time this past spring, I was there for conference, so it was a short trip but I took Mr. SK and we really enjoyed it!

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

* As a group, people in Boston are some 6” shorter than people in Cleveland.

* Pickup trucks are not popular, even in the ‘burbs.

* Fast food chain restaurants are not at all common.

I did not notice the first one, but I definitely noticed the second two! And I thought both were pleasantly refreshing!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Big changes at the airport. TSA is much faster now.

* No need to remove liquids or laptops from carry on bags.

* No more baskets to put things in to go through the scanner. Everything goes in your carry on bag.

* There’s now a dog sniffing people as they walk by - some sort of hound. He was enjoying his job very much but was strictly business.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
No need to remove liquids or laptops from carry on bags.

I love it when airports allow this! Not all do, I asked at one place and was told not to count on it because it’s only allowed when they have newer equipment.

That said, I wonder if this will put a dent in services like TSA-pre and Clear.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Even back as far as 2014 Logan was the most efficient major airport TSA I'd ever seen.

Pickup trucks are not popular because the surface roads are all old narrow winding cowpaths with far too much traffic.

Dunkin's are everywhere.

Fantastic city. One of my very favorite.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Even back as far as 2014 Logan was the most efficient major airport TSA I'd ever seen.

Pickup trucks are not popular because the surface roads are all old narrow winding cowpaths with far too much traffic.

Dunkin's are everywhere.

On the pickup trucks, that’s not it. Minivans and big SUVs, which abound, are the same size.

I remember one of my contractors telling me that an SUV was great for a contractor because it is easy to get, inexpensive to buy and operate, and can carry a full sheet of plywood.

I don’t know what it is. If it were the weather, pickups would be less common in Montana.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

This was at Cleveland Hopkins. I’ll let you know how it goes at Logan on Tuesday.

quote:
Dunkin's are everywhere.

Have yet to see one, but I did see a Shake Shack in Needham and a McD in Falmouth.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Odd that house numbering here is not necessarily sequential. For example, a row of houses on Greg’s street are numbered 6, 18, 12, 14, 22. I saw similar numbering of row houses when we were downtown.

Must play hell with mail delivery. Blink

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Logan might be the nicest airport I’ve ever seen. Clean and spacious.

TSA has a slick new bin return system that ferries bins from the end of the conveyor back to the beginning - all underground.

Slick!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

Dunkin's are everywhere.

On the pickup trucks, that’s not it. Minivans and big SUVs, which abound, are the same size.

I remember one of my contractors telling me that an SUV was great for a contractor because it is easy to get, inexpensive to buy and operate, and can carry a full sheet of plywood.

I don’t know what it is. If it were the weather, pickups would be less common in Montana.

Real cowboys don't drive SUVs. Neither do those that like to think they are real cowboys.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

Dunkin's are everywhere.

Big SUVs might be the same size as small pickup trucks, but neither can do the job of a large pickup truck--which has, at the very least, a 6L engine and a 10,000 lb towing capacity. Why anyone in Boston would need that kind of capacity is a mystery, and I suspect that is why there aren't many truck owners. Plus a heavy duty truck is super expensive to buy and maintain. They are ubiquitous in Montana because we have jobs for them. Can't think of a single job for a truck like that in a big city that can't be done with a van or large SUV. I would love to trade down to such, but they can't safely pull a horse trailer, and especially not in the mountains.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
A few photos from the trip:

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Great photos!

Been to Boston a couple of times in my life. Had a great time.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
The aquarium in Boston is wonderful.

The Museum of Fine Arts is also great.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Beautiful family, Steve!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post