well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Hey Greeb, how's my piano?

Wink

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greeb
posted Hide Post
I've been stuck trying to get some tapered tuning pins made. Some had been replaced with normal pins and I want to restore it to it's original condition. I had some made and they weren't quite right. I've finally found someone who is doing it for me. I have the Pure Sound strings, Heller bass, and the Bacon felt hammers all ready to go when I get through this bottle neck. I'm trying to it right and very carefully.

Posts: 46 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
This one apparently belonged to Napoleon - whether it was Bonaparte, or Napoleon III (was there a II?), I dunno. Neat instrument though:

--------------------------------
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would-be Sage
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post

Holy Pianos, Batman!

A cynic - knows the price of everything and the value of nothing - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 648 | Location: NL, Canada | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
Found on "Pixdaus" today, captioned, "Grand piano in a flowerbed, Nyon, Switzerland"

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Said to be one of Elton John's pianos:

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35062 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
New sight reading practice aid:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7581 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
The fallboard of an S&S B at USAPT's university, courtesy of Kenny:

Posts: 25662 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
ooooooooh,

Splinters under the fingersnails. Ouch!

This would be a good case for KEYS BEING LONGER on all pianos, right?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
It made me wonder why they don't make a fallboard specifically for institutional settings. All it'd take is to relieve the wood back that one eighth and cover it with an eighth of something like plexiglass or some other durable material.

It also made me wonder why the people playing are not trimming their nails. I can't stand to play if mine are not completely trimmed.

I was rather annoyed that a visitor recently left a trail of red nail polish on the ivories from her long nails from doing glissandos with her nails rather than the side of her pinkie or thumb. I'd have planted her in the garden if she'd done that to the fallboard.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I've seen a picture of a thin piece of plastic that covers the fallboard and is held on with some kind of string or strap around the back... I just can't find it now. Thin enough to not make a difference in the key deptch, but thick enough to protect from fingernails.

I just love these random black and white photos on the web...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7581 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greeb
posted Hide Post
The fall boards on my pianos get gouged even though my nails are cut to the quick. At first I was very surprised by the appearance of these gouges because I didn't think I was ever touching it. I think it's more a style of playing. Now I have the thin plastic guard installed.

Posts: 46 | Location: Tallahassee | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would-be Sage
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
This is pretty cool...

A sea organ, in Zadar, Croatia

Concealed under these steps, which both protect and invite, is a system of polyethylene tubes and a resonating cavity that turns the site into a huge musical instrument, played by the wind and the sea.

See more here

Sea Organ

On the linked page, click on the sound clip link to hear the organ play.

A cynic - knows the price of everything and the value of nothing - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 648 | Location: NL, Canada | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nobody's $hillbot
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
That sea organ is COOL! Everyone should take a moment to listen to it.

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OperaTenor:
That sea organ is COOL! Everyone should take a moment to listen to it.

That REALLY is cool. I love things like windchimes as there's a rather evident, nearly mathematical and rational pattern to the melodies constructed by wind. This is that times 100. I'd love to hear that in person. It's a cool looking contraption as well.