well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

sat on a pin mary rose
Forum Groupie
Picture of maryrose
posted Hide Post
You should have reported the three-legged Baldwin to the ASPCP. Or the RSPCP if you're in the UK, or MWSPCP for your particular galaxy.

These things make me sad.

--------------------------------
Extreme heterosexuality is a perversion Margaret Mead

Posts: 836 | Location: Essex Girl :) | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Revenant
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Frycek
posted Hide Post
Do they make piano prosthetics?

Posts: 6034 | Location: SC Mountains | Registered: 24 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frycek:
Do they make piano prosthetics?

Actually they do. Good engineered transplant bits of all kinds. Pricey though. A nice leg can run upwards of $1000 for "modern" and as much as $3000 for something fancy. A nice music desk (just the prop portion) runs up to $1000, too, if it's nicely carved. I'd have had more in replacement parts than for the piano.

I've contemplated installing an open-carved desk on the Chickering since I truly prefer the sound of the piano without the music desk at all, and it's a downright nuisance to read the music laying flat on the tuning pins. But I'm just too cheap. So one of these days I'll make my own, now that I have a woodshop.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Something like this perhaps?

Ole

Posts: 13645 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
Yep. I took note of that when it arrived. The Chickering probably wants an ostentatious one like the one on Derick's Bosey, though ( Wink). I don't care too much what they look like as long as they're not those modern style straight-sticks-making-boxes things. Mostly, it's the sound I'm after. If I get lazy, I have a friend with a CNC I could have match a pattern, which I have.

Just curious, to what extent does the sheet music block the sound? I'm guessing not much if it's a few sheets, but more if it's booklet or book.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 6631 | Location: Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
The first piano of 2007, a Brinsmead:

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Now that you have a woodshop CG?

I would think that those cut outs could be done for a lot less than $1000!

I had a tenant once who did wood scroll work. Wish I didn't hate him so, now!!!

LL

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sat on a pin mary rose
Forum Groupie
Picture of maryrose
posted Hide Post

"Resourceful tinkerer "Proximasolaris" has put together a piano mod that would make even some Samic owners a bit envious. Retrofitting a Korg Triton Extreme, hiding two monitors behind a motorized cabinet, and placing a slew of blue LEDs and other mechanics, he managed to put $3,000 worth of gadgetry into an old fashion [sic] vertical piano. While it is not the first modification we have seen like this, you should still ... bask in the glory of what's possible with a little extra loot and 250 solid man hours."

Extreme heterosexuality is a perversion Margaret Mead

Posts: 836 | Location: Essex Girl :) | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Just waiting for performers...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7602 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
I assume those are some of his S&S rebuilds?

I'll be much more interested in an Overs picture when it's his 278.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Yup...

Here's a picture of his number 003

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7602 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
And the "artist" actually SIGNED that abomination! Old man Henry's a-spinnin' in his grave!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 4568 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Yup...

Here's a picture of his number 003

For the record, that's No. 006 I ripped off for the image for "The Soundboard" above. Figure that if you're gonna steal, it should be something worthwhile. Leaving

Incognito
Beatification Candidate
Picture of ChickGrand
posted Hide Post
More "desolation" for Frycek: