well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    The wine thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The wine thread
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
The Fire Steed Pinot Noir was disappointing. Odd combination of feeling very full in the mouth and having very little flavor.

jf

Posts: 17717 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Even though my favorite is a nice Cab/Shiraz mix - this summer I have fallen in love with green wine (vinho verde) from Portugal, with a label that says "Famega". Anyone tried it?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
this summer I have fallen in love with green wine (vinho verde) from Portugal, with a label that says "Famega". Anyone tried it?

Smiler Jodi
Yes! Vinho verde is very good, and Famega is one of the more interesting ones! Unique. And cheap!

Posts: 13883 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
There aren't very many non-red wines that I like - but this one is so refreshing. Not too sweet (I hate too sweet) with just that little tingle on the tongue. I just love it.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Even though my favorite is a nice Cab/Shiraz mix - this summer I have fallen in love with green wine (vinho verde) from Portugal, with a label that says "Famega". Anyone tried it?

Smiler Jodi

Love it! And what a bargain.

It's also dangerous because it is very gulpable.

jf

Posts: 17717 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I know there are some Sauvigno Blanc lovers out here.. notably Jack..

A lot of California SBs are taking a more NZ style on, although still a bit riper. The 2004 Canyon Road, second label of Geyser Peak, is a pretty good example of that. It is very reminisent of the old Buena Vista SBs from Clear Lake that were so good and so inexpensive.

Anyway the Canyon Road can usually be had for from $6-9. Worth trying for sure.

Had an interesting time a couple weeks ago. Janet and I went to an open house at a winery in Southern Ohio named Kinkead Ridge. The couple that operate it used to grow wine grapes in Oregon, and felt this part of Ohio, with it's climate and ancient limestone soils, had the best potential for really fine wines. I met them at a Pinot Noir tasting I attend from time to time, and I had read of them. They are doing all vinifera and doing them very well.

Their Riesling is marvelous.. best American ones I have had except for Dr. Frank from upstate NY. Delicious, stony and balanced.

Their Marsanne/Viognier blend is also lovely.

The reds, a Syrah, a Cab and a Cab Franc are all very nice, although the Syrah is the finest. Best reds I've had from Ohio to be sure.

Although I have been to the wine country in many areas of the US, I had never gone into the vineyards when the grapes were hanging, almost ready to harvest. It was a lot of fun.. I got to taste many different varieties right off the vine.

Posts: 13643 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semi-Regular
Picture of johnmoonlight~*
posted Hide Post
I'm a SB fanatic. I'm convinced there is none better than the Kim Crawford. Try it.

Posts: 137 | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnmoonlight~*:
I'm a SB fanatic. I'm convinced there is none better than the Kim Crawford. Try it.

I have. I agree.

jf

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I'll stick with reds unless forced. Wink

Tonight we had a double-bill. First up was a 2003 Norton Privada from Argentina. A blend of 40% malbec, 30% cabernet sauvignon and 30% merlot, this is a reserve wine from one of the Mendoza region's biggest producers. It displayed a deep maroon color, and was delightfully complex on the nose. There is a pronounced oakiness to this wine, but the tannins are relatively mellow. The fruit is more cherry and blackberry than anything else, but is not overly forward. At about $16 per bottle, this isn't your typical everyday red.

Next up was a 2004 Cline Ancient Vines Zinfandel from California. The grapes for this wine come from vines that are all over 100 years old. Those old vines sure can put out some amazing fruit, though, and the resulting wine can be outstanding. This particular vintage wasn't known for exceptional fruitiness, but the Cline offering shows that the potential locked up in a decent crop of Zinfandel grapes can be developed even in an off year. This wine has a dense nose of blackberries and licorice. There is a very full mouth feel, with tastes of black cherry and spice. The finish is incredibly long, with hints of white pepper and licorice. This one sells for about $13.50 per bottle. Caution: this wine is 15% alcohol by volume; enjoy it wisely!

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I've had the Kim Crawford line and liked them a lot!

Matt, you might try the 2002 Estancia Zin..in this sad age of 'boutique' Zins, it is a good example of what Zin ought to be.. tasty, versatile and modestly priced.

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Tonight, at $11, Mark West Pinot Noir. Very, very good for the $$.

I won't try to match Matt with the adjectives other than to say this wine is like velvet and really worth a try.

jf

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
quote:
Originally posted by johnmoonlight~*:

I have. I agree.

jf

Actually, the Isabel might be better....

jf

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
Gosh, JF, it's funny you should resurrect this thread just now. I just got back from my favorite wine purveyor's fall tasting. 700 wines to try! Eeker I only got to about 40 of them or so and put in an order for only about 10. I'll let you know how things panned out once I get my order...

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
Gosh, JF, it's funny you should resurrect this thread just now. I just got back from my favorite wine purveyor's fall tasting. 700 wines to try! Eeker I only got to about 40 of them or so and put in an order for only about 10. I'll let you know how things panned out once I get my order...

Do you spit or swallow? You must have been pretty tipsy.

jf

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Jack,

The Mark West is one heck of a pinot for the price! I have found it is better to open it the day before you drink it.. really opens up. Hard to beat. Two other pinots you might want to seek out, but might find difficult to get:

McKenzie (Russian River I think) $15 - clear, beautiful fruit, like a very good Cote De Nuits Village

Chumiea (Sonoma County?) $15 - Nice fruit, grogeous spice - even went well with a spicy Vietnamese salad!