well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  About Us    Announcing the Aug 2010 WTF-er of the month.... jon-nyc!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Announcing the Aug 2010 WTF-er of the month.... jon-nyc!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

I've also thought that financial literacy needs to be taught on high school so I've toyed with the idea of developing a curriculum for that too.

What a great idea! Seems there are far too many regular people making bad financial decisions just because they don't know any better. With your background, seems like you could really make a difference.

I haven't been around for very long, so I don't know much about you. Time for the interrogation room and bright lights....

Seems like you've lived in large urban areas during your adult life. Where did you grow up? Do you have any siblings?

Where did you meet your wife? How long have you been married?

From your posts, seems that you are a student of history. I know you're working your way through bios of the American presidents. Any other historical figures/eras/countries you are particularly interested in?

Posts: 37955 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
Seems like you've lived in large urban areas during your adult life. Where did you grow up?

I was born in Dallas (though both my parents are from greater NY area). At age 2 I moved to Galion, Ohio. At age 9 I moved to Merritt Island, FL (near Cape Canaveral). At 14 we moved to Rochester, NY. Then college at Purdue. Then I moved to Chicago, 5 years later to NYC. Also there were a couple of expat assignments and a sabatical in there so I've also lived in Mexico, UK, Brazil, and France.

quote:
Do you have any siblings?

Two, both older. The oldest lives where Mary Anna Evans lives. The middle sister lives in Arlington VA. My father moved in with her a year ago.

quote:
Where did you meet your wife? How long have you been married?

We met at a bar in NYC (10th street lounge, for those NYers here) through a mutual acquaintance.
We had our 9th anniversary in May. Next year is the big one-oh.

quote:
From your posts, seems that you are a student of history. I know you're working your way through bios of the American presidents. Any other historical figures/eras/countries you are particularly interested in?

I've gone through various phases but I read pretty broadly.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Outside of M&D - what have been the major influeces in your life?

- any significant books?

- significant experience that changed your direction?

- best advice received?

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
The nation's financial leaders have made you the Economic Czar for the US - After negotiating your serverance package - what would you do to fix (or not) the US economy?

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
If you didn't have a Bosie, what would be your alternative?

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
You're as skinny as a rail. Do you work out - and if so - what do you do?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
Outside of M&D - what have been the major influeces in your life?
- any significant books?

During a formative stage I read everything I could by Bertrand Russell. I re-read his History of Western Philosophy every few years. I'm overdue, in fact.

quote:
- significant experience that changed your direction?

Yeah, going into consulting instead of engineering when leaving college changed everything. My life would have been completely different had I not made that move. I think moving to NY was another thing. As much as I loved Chicago, I always felt I was missing out on something by not being here.

quote:
- best advice received?

Early in my career, a senior partner at my firm said to me 'you want to be a proprietor, act like a proprietor.'

Another was, shortly after college, someone said to me 'you know, jon, it took me 10 years in the workforce to finally realize there are different kinds of smart. Growing up we think of the kids who first raise their hands as the only smart ones'

That is very true as well.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
The nation's financial leaders have made you the Economic Czar for the US - After negotiating your serverance package - what would you do to fix (or not) the US economy?

I don't have a great answer. I would struggle with the big question, do you worry about deficit reduction now or wait until the economy improves first? I'm not sure anyone has a great answer to that. No one really knows when the markets will start getting spooked and quit buying our bonds.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you didn't have a Bosie, what would be your alternative?

I really like Bluthners, but there was no dealer in NY when I was piano shopping.

But if I were to re-shop who knows what I'd find?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're as skinny as a rail. Do you work out - and if so - what do you do?

I'm less skinny than when you last saw me (which is a good thing).

Workout wise - I haven't since I stopped working because I'm so active, I probably walk 3 miles a day with a 25lb boy strapped to my chest.

Prior to that I would work out 3 days a week on lite weight machines and another 3 days a week on a treadmill. Nothing much, just 20m or so.

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
What's your favorite city to visit?

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Do you have any phobias?

Posts: 4095 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's your favorite city to visit?

I'd probably have to say Paris. Its very nostalgic for us and culturally interesting at the same time.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
Do you have any phobias?

Not that I can think of. I mean, I don't love spiders or snakes, but I wouldn't call it a phobia.

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Ok....

What's your Achilles heel?

You can interpret the question however you'd like.

Posts: 4095 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post